I cant believe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Some idiot would leave their chickens out in the full sun and heat of a Texas summer with no whade and then be so stupid as to come onto the chicken board and ask why the birds died. id like to get my hands round your throat. You ought to be left in the sun all day ta cook ya idjut!

2. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Although it might seem common sense to you, this person just simply did not know. It was probably his first chicken raising experience and some people just assume animals don't notice the heat like people. Once he did know better, he moved them into the shade. At least he asked when he saw a problem and corrected it and I'm sure won't make that mistake again. Besides, at least he used his registered name and didn't insult people on other boards under the cover of "unregistered".

3. Keith2004

Keith2004 Member

I have to agree with Karen. Being new to homesteading, I myself have made many mistakes. It's all part of learning. And I think the poster did the right thing by asking on this forum. People are very knowledgable here and I feel that if I have a question that may sound stupid to some. I can post it and always get great feedback.

4. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

Wow--must be great, "unregistered," not to make any mistakes.

The rest of us poor slobs, though, do make mistakes and are very grateful for all of the help and encouragement we receive on this board. Log-in, pull up a chair, and try sharing some wisdom instead of anonymously flogging away.

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

As far as the chickens go ... been there done that. I'm sure every body has made their fair share of mistakes.

It takes some humility, a good thing, to ask for advice and admit we don't know everything.

Now, if you went to the horse section and your horse seemed to have colic, or to the cattle section and it sounded like your cow had milk fever, would you want someone to call you an idiot? Or someone to advise you to start walking the horse and call the vet?

Even on the internet, we need to treat others like we want to be treated.

Ann

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I hate to see Animals mistreated but people make mistakes.A lot of people worry over what I would consider minor things.But I would rather they ask then let it run into something more serious.

Please people don't be afraid to ask no matter how stupid it may seem to you.It is for the welfair of your animal.That is whate we are here for.

big rockpile

7. adofus

adofus Member

Ever try walking on water Unregistered? People make mistakes....

8. Yep accidents hapen, but this is common sense. If you dont have enuff common sense to keep live stock out of the broiling sun you probably ought to be living in an apartment with only a couple of goldfish to depend on you.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

And if you don't have enough common sense to register or post under your real name before starting such an inflammatory thread, maybe you ought to stay off the internet!

I CALL TROLL! Get a life, troll.

:yeeha:

10. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

To me, I don't care what name someone posts under. Sounds to me like it was an honest mistake or first-time oversight and I know experienced farmers who would admit to making a mistake or bad judgment call with livestock. My request to unregistered is not to register or go away, but simply be a bit more understanding. I would agree that some posts suggest some silly (or occasionally downright crazy) ideas, but I think unless you're willing to provide a constructive suggestion, it accomplishes little to call someone out.

I think J.R. is one of the best posters on these forums, and I know I've picked up quite a few tips from him about firearms, camping supplies. I'm sure he's working on getting more shade and water for his chickens during the day, and I hope all turns out well.

11. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Jeez!! How easy it is to hide in the shadows and throw stones. Mistakes happen, most of us call them learning experiences.

My son often talks about how I treat my animals better than I treat myself; I always did, but about 25 years ago I tied up my riding/plow mule behind the house and walked around in front of the house for less than fives minutes to see what a visitor wanted. Long story short; the mule tangled up in the reins and was dead when I returned. I was a grown man in my thirties and I cried like a baby. It still hurts me to this day.

I'm sure the owner of the chickens in question has suffered plenty already and long after we all have forgotten this incident; they will still be suffering.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I knew a city boy who come to the country to raise chickens and picked up 50 chicks at the co-op. A week later he come in again for 50 more. The next day he picked up another 50. The co-op mananager remarked that he was getting a good sized flock. City slicker said "Not really. Im not sure if I'm planting them too deep or too close together". We all just laughed at his stupidity in farming because we all knew that while planting depth and spacing were important, he should have sent soil samples down to Auburn for evaluation before planting his first chicken crop :)

Now clean the coffee off your monitor :)

13. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Common sense is subjective. What is common sense to me, might be something that just doesn't occur to someone else. Some people honest and truly just think livestock and take any type of conditions -- after all you see pictures of chickens out in the sun all day without a tree or coop in sight.

"Unregistered", you might make a very bad mistake in an area that J.R. might be knowledgeable in and, to him, it would be just common sense you should have known better. Sometimes you just have to give people the benefit of the doubt and give them credit or asking when they know they've run into trouble. Although I don't know J.R. in person, through his posts on this site I have found him to be one of the nicest, most helpful and knowledgeable guys around. He really is a nice guy that just didn't know better and made a mistake. We all do things, that to others, we should have known better.

As far as registering (although I'm a big advocate that everyone should have to register to use this site), I have no problem with someone posting under "unregistered" status; however, it is NEVER appropriate to use that privilege to make nasty posts about someone else - especially about something that happened in another forum. Just my opinion though.

14. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I agree with Karen, J.R. is a wonderful person. I have never seen a post by him that was disrespectful in any way. This man is a man of great knowledge and has helped many people on these forums including myself. But I am sure he will be the first to admit that we ALL make mistakes. And he would certainly be the last person to condemn anyone for their mistakes unlike yourself! He made a mistake but I know that he will be the better man for it.

15. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry folks, but I sort of agree with Unregistered. That is the main reason I never go to any of the livestock forums. I get too angry when people thinks it's great to go buy some farm animals and then end up with dead/dying/ sick animals. Common sense dictates one AT LEAST read 1 book on that animal's needs and be prepared with proper housing and water and feed BEFORE purchasing said animal. It's not "just a mistake" it's cruel and stupid. Rant off. I agree J.R. posts much useful information and I very surprised at his lack of preparation in this area.

16. Thank you goat lady. That is exactly what I meant. With all the information available via the internet at your finger tips it is nothiing short of lazy cruelty, not to find out what your animals will need to thrive before you bring it home.

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Okay unregistered , if you are as smart as you are saying...what temp is too hot for chickens and what humidity is too much when combined with what temp of heat. I have not read in any of my chicken books about this topic. I am in montana and the summers seem hot to me, but i have no way of knowing if my chickens find them too hot except to watch their behavior!

18. The thermometer on my truck said 107, banks were saying 104 - 106, so the day was dang hot. Very little wind, and pretty humid. Our area has major heat stress, so since May, my wife gives the birds refrigerated drinking water to help them. The birds are penned up 100% of the time in a chicken tractor which gets moved about every day. The pen, except for nest boxes and a small area, does not get much shade during the heat of the day. And yesterday, they were in an area of the yard which does not get shade until around 6:00 in the afternoon.

See above for how to torture your birds to death slowly.

19. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

Goatlady--The troubling thing about Unregistered's post in my mind was how inflammatory it was: id like to get my hands round your throat. You ought to be left in the sun all day ta cook ya idjut! Do you really agree with that?

Awhile back I got some turkeys. I thought they weren't due in for awhile, and I had a good turkey book on order . . . the turkeys arrived before the book. Fortunately, as always, folks helped me out by giving me some good pointers and all my turkeys are still living. :)

What seems like a "duh-uh" to experienced poultry people is sometimes not at all clear to a newbie, even one who is trying to learn. I have three books on raising chickens. Of those three, all talk about the need for frequent watering--only one specifically mentions that you need to provide shade. Now, it does seem self-evident to me that animals need shade, but I've had plenty of my own "duh-uh's." Like when I traveled for a few days this spring and my neighbor graciously agreed to take care of the poultry, horses and dogs. I had poults in the greenhouse, and they were doing quite nicely. While I was gone, the temperatures climbed unexpectedly, and I never even considered the possibility that the greenhouse would get too hot while I was gone. Fortunately, my neighbor quickly moved them out into the main chicken area, figuring that henpecking was preferable to broiling. I felt terrible, though--I hadn't even considered the possibility and certainly didn't give her any instructions on what to do.

Our mare got pregnant "accidently." (We sent her off to board while we reseeded the pasture, and the person boarding her deliberately got her pregnant, thinking that my daughter was going sell the horse to him.) So, we brought home a pregnant mare. We immediately bought books and tried to learn what we could. It was only dumb luck that someone mentioned to us that a pregnant mare shouldn't be on fescue her last months. If I hadn't heard that (and it wasn't in my books), we might have had a mess on our hands seeing as our pasture is fescue.

We will all make mistakes, even the best-intended of us--even those who do try to prepare. Mistakes may result in cruelty to animals, but it's rare that that was the intent. In J.R.'s case, we have a man who is typically very careful and doesn't take responsibility lightly. To flog a man like that for a mistake seems pointless and, yes, cruel. To do it anonymously is even more reprehensible.

20. diane

diane Well-Known Member

wow.........we sure do have some gutless wonders on this board........and perfect to boot. Clearly "unregistered" is a regular who is oh so sure they are perfect. I have participated on several boards with JR for a number of years and have always found him to be kind, considerate and helpful. He doesn't deserve this. :no: