Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby just killed a two foot cottonmouth.

It's JANUARY (45 degrees right now)! The snakes aren't supposed to be crawling now! Our dog Mollie (who has been bitten my a cottonmouth before) alerted him to the snake. It was coiled up and ready to strike. Having nothing with him, he grabbed a stick and began beating it until he was able to get his booted foot on the snake's head. He was then able to kill it and bring it home to show me (oh goodie :eek:).

I'm ready to move. Where's a good snake free place to live? I never thought I'd have to live with poisonous snakes crawling around in the middle of Winter.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Ireland has no snakes i think.

That would be rather weird. Something must have really disturbed the snake for it to come out.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
I found one (dead) right after Christmas, on top of the concrete cover on the old well. I figured he'd probably come out of there during the warm spell and then got caught by the cold. I remember one VERY cold February a few years ago when we had the well cover off, and looked down there and saw a snake writhing around. You know, come to think of it, it looked just like the snake I found dead. Poor old snake...

Edited to add: Remember Ravenlost--Just like dogs, "They're ALL God's children." :D Hee, Hee, Hee!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edited to add: Remember Ravenlost--Just like dogs, "They're ALL God's children." :D Hee, Hee, Hee!

Poisonous snakes are the devil's spawn! :flame:

We've come across snakes out and about every January since we've lived here. This is the first adult cottonmouth though. Usually it's just little garter snakes that come out on sunny days.

Hubby has to get a gun to take on his walks with him. He's pushed his luck to much killing poisonous snakes with sticks and screwdrivers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Consider moving somewhere where we have real winter. The only snakes we have around here are non-poisonous. You give up a little, like not being able to garden or graze anything for 4-6 months out of the year. But I like to say it keeps the riff-raff out. The warmer climates really do harbor more criters and plants that are nasty.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So many snakes was a good reason I do not miss GA. I don't miss the mosquitos, the fire ants or the 'I can't breathe' heat either.

Gotta love this part of VA.

Rose :D
The only place I can think of that doens't have snakes is Ireland.

I don't miss GA for the same reason's plus, palmetto bugs that look like giant roaches and infest your house just like roaches do if your not careful, termites, pine sap, pine pollen that comes off the trees in curtains on windy days and you can't leave you windows or doors open because it will coat everything in your house, pine needles that needs to be constantly raked, nasty neighbors, snakes, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Nothing like ebign seven months pg and out front talking to your DH on the phone and finding a rattlesnake coiled up not five feet from you. ACK!!!

"Kill it" he said... "I'm already back in the house" I said. :D
I like snakes well enough, but not poisonous ones near me, thankyouverymuch.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
So many snakes was a good reason I do not miss GA. I don't miss the mosquitos, the fire ants or the 'I can't breathe' heat either.

Gotta love this part of VA.

Rose :D
VA is on our list for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My dd said she saw a snake the other day, I wasn't sure what to make of it but I'm guessing the unseasonably warm weather we are having has something to do with it. It was 81 on Saturday and except for Monday we've been in the 60's every other day. I was just out taking care of chickens etc. and noticed I've got cabbage growing and strawberries too! This is the strangest January (since leaving Hawaii that is) that I've experienced.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I don't believe that MI has poisonous snakes - but their winters! Brrrr!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,619 Posts
Missouri don't have no Snakes or Bugs :whistle:

Trust Me!

big rockpile

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here it really hasn't gotten cold enough to send them other...They'll naturally reduce activity at this time of year, but they'll also be looking for mates...If it warms up, you might find a male traveling around to visit the girls.

It's 82 here and my crew have still been pretty active...Most of my males will go off feed in colder conditions, but so far they've kept on eating, while breeding.

Y'all be careful.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts