Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female pig is 250 LBS!!!!!!!!!!! I have only had her for 4 months! I bought her in April, as a 50 lb'r... and shes already 250 lbs!! I suppose thats the way its supposed to be. The male is a bit behind her and i didn't measure him but he must be about 200 lbs then. Both are butcherable sizes. I thought it was going to take til October for them to be ready. Last two pigs we had, it took us 7 months to get them at the right size. I guess its the difference between summer time raising and winter raising plus I beleive we are feeding these pigs a whole lot better.

Now im not sure what to do though. Its not the time of the year to be butchering pigs. But soon they will just be packing on the fat instead of the meat.

We save a lot of money by packaging ourselves but we also could chill the meat over night in our garage. Its only getting around 65 at night so we cannot chill the meat here. And if the meats warm then its awful hard to cut and grind into burger.

But its so much to get someone else to package it......

How can we chill the pork so we can process it? Or what would you do??

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Can you use an old fridge, take out all the shelves - and chill the sides in there?

What about buying a whole bunch of ice, and chill it in a cold water bath - if you can think up something large enough to chill whole or half carcass in? Would an old bathtub, or water tank work? I've got a horse trough big enough to do something like that in - I'd have to sanitize it first.

Sometimes, you can rent space at a meat locker to store your meats, might be able to do the same thing for chilling....not done it myself, but have heard of it done that way.

I'm guessing that what you feed may play a role in how fatty the meat is in the end - October isn't too far away, really. I'd research that, and feed towards that goal to butcher in October, if it were me. Or, butcher the larger hog, and wait on the smaller one.

Sincerely;
Niki

·
spellcheck is my freind!
647 Posts
We have the same problem,,we have two pigs that could be butchered anytime but the weather is too warm right now. We're thinking of waiting another month to do it. Getting into September the weather will be cooling off.
Great suggestions Niki,,,I'm going to mention the ice bath idea to DH.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We aregoing to buy a chest freezer, put the temp up high so it doesn't freeze the meat but keep it chilleda few days, package up the meat ourselves and then turn the freezer down and that will be where the pork goes. Dh and I figure we could use another freezer and fill it up with chickens too. It make since with our big family anyways. Now we will just wait til we can get the freezer plus wait til its a cool day to get the butchering done. I dont want the flies around and they;d go hog wild on hot hazy days like right now

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're still out there, how did the chest freezer work for cooling the carcass? I'm considering doing the same as mine are growing faster than I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Our local butcher will kill and quarter (or 1/8th, depending on the size of the animal) for $55. We have our own crouch-in cooler so we don't use the butcher any more, but he was great. He cooled our meat and I was able to take it home and cut and wrap for myself. However, around here it's into deer and elk season, so he'd be a lot busier than when it's not hunting season. You'd just have to check with your local folks.
Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts