Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shazbot!
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can not even begin to imagine the trauma this man has experienced.

He found a woman burned beyond recognition in the road after returning from borrowing a trailer to evacuate. He loaded her into his vehicle and said he needed to hurry to go find his family. The woman said she was his wife.

He also lost his son and mother-in-law to the wildfire.

What a hell on earth.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Maybe he is thinking that they should of loaded up and got out sooner. Probably not.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
That's horrific.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
Tofte’s wife, Angela Mosso, is now hospitalized in critical condition with severe burns on her feet, back and arms.
I don't understand why he didn't recognize her face.

·
Administrator
19,222 Posts
I read that too but I suspect she would have been covered in ash and soot and a person’s mind doesn’t alway process information clearly in a crisis.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So compassionate.
My heart breaks for this man.

But, really. He left his family during a crisis. To borrow a trailer so he could load up his material belongings instead of evacuating like he was told to. It amazes me how much STUFF matters to people, sometimes it's sickening. I have witnessed my own child's father loading up trailers full of STUFF, material belongings during a fire evacuation instead of getting himself and our kid out of danger. I came and got my child out of there instead. His complete stupidity will never be forgotten, or forgiven.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
So compassionate.
compassion
[kəmˈpaSHən]

NOUN
  1. sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others
Maybe that comment will make someone else think about being prepared ahead of time so no one is injured.

It's already too late for the people in the story, and all the internet hand-wringing in the world won't make them feel better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My heart breaks for this man.

But, really. He left his family during a crisis. To borrow a trailer so he could load up his material belongings instead of evacuating like he was told to. It amazes me how much STUFF matters to people, sometimes it's sickening. I have witnessed my own child's father loading up trailers full of STUFF, material belongings during a fire evacuation instead of getting himself and our kid out of danger. I came and got my child out of there instead. His complete stupidity will never be forgotten, or forgiven.
Fires can move shockingly fast, and a lot of people just don't realize the danger until it's too late.

When he left his house, there was probably no sign of any significant danger. The wife, MIL, and son were left with a car. Whatever hit them did so so quickly that they didn't even have time to all 3 get in the car. If the MIL was 'ailing' and required the wife to spend so much extra time trying to get her out of the house (suggesting they couldn't just drag her out), she may have been in traction or using a in-home hospital bed, which would have required the trailer to move. I just couldn't tell you what the husband's motivations were.

I don't live in an area with fires (thankfully), but I do live in an area that is susceptible for flooding. It feels like there's a call for evacuations nearly every time there's a hurricane, or extremely heavy rains up-river. And most of the time, nothing happens. It's in human nature to de-prioritize risk after successive experiences without consequence. (This is a studied, proven phenomenon.) People don't evacuate quickly when they're used to hearing about evacuations, or when there's been an on-going event lasting several days like this fire.

I agree -- I am perplexed about why so many people care about STUFF. I care about my family and my living things (my dogs and cat, which serve as my babies, etc) -- everything else is something I'll eventually forget about. But I do know that people often just don't understand how immediate a threat is, and feel compelled to save what they can to mitigate their losses.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So compassionate.
You are right. I don't have any compassion for stupid people. Forest fires don't sneak up on anybody, waiting until the last minute is just stupid. During the ten years I was a full time Search and Rescue Coordinator, I worked three large fires, that lasted for weeks, and maybe a dozen small ones that were only a day or two. I have seen people wait until the last minute, then expect someone to jump in and save them. I have gone home and got my own horse trailer, and rescued peoples horses, and dogs. Two different times the horses had been abandoned, because the stupid people fled in a blind panic at the last minute.

So, you are right. My compassion meter is broke, and I don't remember where I left it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You are right. I don't have any compassion for stupid people. Forest fires don't sneak up on anybody, waiting until the last minute is just stupid. During the ten years I was a full time Search and Rescue Coordinator, I worked three large fires, that lasted for weeks, and maybe a dozen small ones that were only a day or two. I have seen people wait until the last minute, then expect someone to jump in and save them. I have gone home and got my own horse trailer, and rescued peoples horses, and dogs. Two different times the horses had been abandoned, because the stupid people fled in a blind panic at the last minute.

So, you are right. My compassion meter is broke, and I don't remember where I left it.
I'm not sure why anyone would choose to do Search and Rescue when they have such a low opinion of the people who would be their help.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would choose to do Search and Rescue when they have such a low opinion of the people who would be their help.
My job was to find them, not like them. Compassion, worry, fear, and sympathy, are all a waste of energy. Patting them on the head, and making sympathetic noises was not in the job description. In the ten years I ran S&R Teams we never failed to find someone once we began a search. They weren't always alive, but we always found them.

You don't have to like the quarry, to enjoy the hunt.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Most don't start out that way but after years and years of dealing with stupid people you kind of sour on them. Unfortunately you do lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of good people out there because you don't have contact them, only the stupid ones.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Whatever the decisions that led up to this, my heart and prayers go out to this family and many others in this terrible situation. Seth

1 - 20 of 24 Posts