Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted 1/3/21 1:22 AM CST

The last week of November , a friend in Missouri called me to say while de-cluttering his home tinkering stuff, he had a box of old computer boards he thought I could use to keep my two ancient windows 95 reference library PCs running and although we trade our clean out junk parts now via cheap parcel post a few times a year instead of swapping junk at work since he moved, I told him to wait until this month to send them to avoid the holiday mail overload.

I even put off ordering my present to myself until December 29th and was told it would arrive between January 11 to 15th.

I figured both would arrive in a couple of weeks.

Imagine my surprise in finding my ordered on 12/29 package and his mailed from his post office on Sat Jan 2nd both on my porch yesterday with both shipping cheap and slow parcel post with only 4 to 5 days in the postal system.

Those came to me at light speed but the December statement for the credit card I used to keep it from being closed for no balance and 4 months inactivity to order order a gift for the guy who sent me the spare antique PC parts is now 3 to 4 weeks late and I paid it by check and a letter.

Although I have verified that no charges I didn't make have been made since ordering the gift for him and his family that got to them by Dec 8th ,the card company received my payment without statement coupon a day before it's due date to keep my card active and in good standing with it's low rate, next week I still have to call them to have my current card number deactivated and a new card number issued because instead of sending statements with ** ** **** #### format for the account number, they put the full account number on statements.

Man I hate holiday postal shipping rush time . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Account or card? My CC company has an account number on my statements too.

Except for a package I watched doing circles in CA, then MO and landing in a city that is not part of the route for final delivery, my PO has done a pretty good job. Considering.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I bought an item off a member of another website I hit regularly. It was shipped priority mail on Dec 14th. As of the 24th it still sat in his state of Maryland. I joked with him that I was glad it wasn’t a Christmas present! Well it’s the 3rd of January and it has been sitting here in Wisconsin for days, but hasn’t moved.
I always wonder how some items take a month to go 500 miles, while others can be here 2-3 days later?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A couple weeks ago I sent a Certified Letter to CA. After 10 days, it still hadn't arrived. I went in to complain to the local Post Master. "Fer Chrissakes, a hunerd yrs ago it only took the pony express 3 days to get a letter to CA!"..."Yea, but the ponies are so much older now, it takes longer,": was his reply.... I couldn't argue with that.

There are roughly 200 million postal addresses in this country. If each address receives 4 pieces of mail daily, that's 3/4 of a BILLION pieces handled by the PO daily..How often does something really "get lost?" Rarely....I'd say they do a pretty good job....The administrators just don't negotiate union contracts very well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A couple weeks ago I sent a Certified Letter to CA. After 10 days, it still hadn't arrived. I went in to complain to the local Post Master. "Fer Chrissakes, a hunerd yrs ago it only took the pony express 3 days to get a letter to CA!"..."Yea, but the ponies are so much older now, it takes longer,": was his reply.... I couldn't argue with that.

There are roughly 200 million postal addresses in this country. If each address receives 4 pieces of mail daily, that's 3/4 of a BILLION pieces handled by the PO daily..How often does something really "get lost?" Rarely....I'd say they do a pretty good job....The administrators just don't negotiate union contracts very well.
That’s what I basically told the guy who shipped the package to me. He’s overly apologetic for it being late. I told him that they always show up eventually.
About 10 years ago a bought some car parts off of a member of a car website I frequent. The box showed up literally 4 months later! :)

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
i ordered a mask a couple weeks before christmas from a lady who owns a fabric store in halifax. i had confirmation the next afternoon that it was posted. still hasn't arrived. i could have driven over and picked it up and been back in 15 min. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I sent a package to North Carolina and another, similar package, to Manitoba. The one to the US arrived in 6-7 days, the one to the province next to mine took nearly a month. Both were sent in a two week time period, in early fall.

Friends of my parents once called to congratulate them on the birth of their first child (me). I was born in 1960, they got the notice in 1996.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
When one factors in Covid worker absences and the huge amount of on-line ordering (read shipping) this year, I am amazed at the amount of packages that have arrived within a reasonable amount of time.
Yes, there are always stories about late packages. I can gripe about one, too. But overall, I am impressed at how well the postal service is doing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When one factors in Covid worker absences and the huge amount of on-line ordering (read shipping) this year, I am amazed at the amount of packages that have arrived within a reasonable amount of time.
Yes, there are always stories about late packages. I can gripe about one, too. But overall, I am impressed at how well the postal service is doing.
I'm not. The post office has a new policy now. If your drive isn't paved, and with a designated paved area to turn around, and it's more than 30 feet, they don't have to deliver your packages anymore. So, my drive is 50 feet, gravel, with a designated turning around space, and the post office hasn't delivered a single package that won't fit in the mailbox in two years. You see, they've determined that it's too dangerous to back up on a driveway farther than 30 feet. I live in a rural area and every drive is more than 30 feet. It's very helpful having Amazon prime for two day deliveries and never getting a package in two days because I have to drive to the post office to get them.

·
Registered
21,122 Posts
The Postal Service, like all other government agencies, has long been poorly managed. Ask anyone who works there. They long ago deprioritized service and focused on cutting costs. The position of Postmaster General is normally a position awarded to political cronies with no postal service history. They were broke when I was hired and despite lowering wages and benefits they were even further in the hole when I retired 27 years later and they are still broke. When I started, if you dropped a local letter in the box outside the post office before 8 AM it was cancelled locally and delivered that day. Now it leaves here on a truck and goes to a processing center 100 miles north and comes back (usually) the next day.

·
Registered
21,122 Posts
I'm not. The post office has a new policy now. If your drive isn't paved, and with a designated paved area to turn around, and it's more than 30 feet, they don't have to deliver your packages anymore. So, my drive is 50 feet, gravel, with a designated turning around space, and the post office hasn't delivered a single package that won't fit in the mailbox in two years. You see, they've determined that it's too dangerous to back up on a driveway farther than 30 feet. I live in a rural area and every drive is more than 30 feet. It's very helpful having Amazon prime for two day deliveries and never getting a package in two days because I have to drive to the post office to get them.
That has to be a local policy. They still drive down our 800 foot gravel lane to deliver ours.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I live in a town claiming about 600 residents.
If you live in town, you don’t get mail delivery service. You have to pick it up at the PO. If you live in the county you do get delivery. I happen to live in town, but on a side street heading out to one of the rural routes, so I DO get mail delivered to a box out on the street. Never made sense to me. But I’m at work for the 3-4 hours a day the P.O. is open, so I’d never get my mail if I wasn’t living on this particular street!

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,323 Posts
I mailed a dozen packages the Friday before Christmas. They were in a padded envelope, a pair of leather gloves. From rural north central Michigan to rural south central Michigan. They arrived the next day. I mailed a couple Christmas cards with gift cards in them. Because they were going to thankless brats, I put tracking on them. They were sent out Tuesday before Christmas. They went from rural north central Michigan to rural far northern Michigan. The first three days the envelopes went south 100 miles to Pontiac Mail Sorting. Then, another day to go to 60 miles to Lansing Mail Sorting. Then another day to travel 60 miles to Grand Rapids Mail Sorting. Then another day to go north 160 miles to Traverse City Mail Sorting. Then, 8 days after initial mailing, the card made the final 120 miles north. I can get packages from China in less time.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Same here. If it dont fit forget it.
You van sign up for USPS tracking so you know what letters are in your mailbox before you drive down your driveway to see if you have mail. Kinda too much big brother for me. My drive way to main road is too far to walk. So I wait till im going out to check it

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The Postal Service, like all other government agencies, has long been poorly managed. Ask anyone who works there. They long ago deprioritized service and focused on cutting costs. The position of Postmaster General is normally a position awarded to political cronies with no postal service history. They were broke when I was hired and despite lowering wages and benefits they were even further in the hole when I retired 27 years later and they are still broke. When I started, if you dropped a local letter in the box outside the post office before 8 AM it was cancelled locally and delivered that day. Now it leaves here on a truck and goes to a processing center 100 miles north and comes back (usually) the next day.
The postal service also has to operate under some pretty restrictive funding rules that no other government agency has to meet. Thank you congress and their habits of robbing one agency to fund others.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I spoke with the post master at my tiny little post office. She said that the issue they were having is that so many people in the distribution centers were out sick so mail was backlogged in Dec. I order a item and it was shipped from CA on Nov 27th....it arrived on Dec 24th. It sat in CA for a couple of weeks. My sisters' christmas presents were shipped priority on Dec 1st. They got them Jan 3rd. I believe I'm due a refund.....I paid for the speedy shipping....which I didn't get. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today's mail delivery brought me my 7 week missing December 2020 statement , my 3 week old account number change notice, account security report letter saying they were going to 3/4 obscured acount numbers on paper statement as others for securityand my mailed 9 days ago mew account numbered card to activate from my home phone.

This year I hope they get the USPS gets away from the first in last out holiday SNAFU predicament without any major hikes in first class postage rates.

At least my statement lost in the wild issue is resolved. Now I just have to hope yje phone activation from my home phone doesn't glitch LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts