I bought a new washer and dryer

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Christine in OK, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

The Sears store (very small one, just tools, lawn and garden and appliances) in Guthrie, just up the road from me a ways, is closing on the 25th of this month. The landlord raised the rent on them, and they said they couldn't afford it.

So, they had 40% off everything. I can't believe I did it, but I bought a new front-loading washer and dryer set. I think Lance can't believe it either, since the old ones were still working; but we got them home, put in, and tried them out. I think I'm really going to enjoy them!

So, now we'll be selling a washer and dryer set to the highest bidder...probably either my sister-in-law or a friend who could use them, or else Lance will put them on e-mail at the station.

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

My dh had one of the front loading ones a few years back and he really liked it. Said it used less water and he thought the clothes got cleaner. Glad you found one you like!

3. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I'd buy a new set if I could find a deal like that. My sis says that another advantage of the front loader is that she can have cabinets above the washer and dryer that are much lower, not having to allow for clearance for the washer lid. I doubt you'll have a problem selling your old set. Many young families need working appliances but can't afford new ones.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

What a great deal! I'm sure they will pay for themselves in no time. I have a front loader and just wish I had also gotten a stand to put it on.

5. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

Don't know what the regular price was but it was probably a good deal.
    Front loaders get clothes a lot cleaner than top loaders do. They use less water also.
    I have been looking at them but the cost is too high to afford right now. Im glad you did well on it.

6. Christine in OK

If I remember right, the regular prices on them were right at $1100 and $1000. They're not the biggest, but the literature says you can put 20 towels in them.

I did discover that the washer dances very well when you don't take the bolts out of the back that are there for transportation......oops!

But that's all fixed now, and boy can I put a lot of clothes in this thing!! I think I'm going to be a happy mama for awhile. We're thinking what we might do instead of the pedestals for them is to put a tabletop on them to use for folding, and I have a couple of housecleaning/tip books I would like to keep in the laundry room. Then I can put up my clothing bar we've been debating, and where the current clothing rack is I can put a bench with room for shoes underneath and coats above.

Ah, plans....

7. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I love my front loader! One of the things I really like about mine is the delayed wash so that I can set my wash to start in the morning and be finished about the time I get up, so I can put it into the dryer (or hang outside) as soon as I get up. Often for my whites I will run it through a rinse or soak cycle before going to bed using a little vinegar in the rinse, then set it for delayed wash. I find this really gets the whites clean - especially the children's muddy stuff. And it's the first washer I've had that I can wash my king size comforter in.

Congratulations on your good find!
    Dawn

8. Christine in OK

Mine has a delay start on it too, but I had no thoughts of using it - now you have me thinking it might be good for the whites and towels. Hmm....

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you get the Kenmore Elite, Christine?

10. Christine in OK

Let me go look - it's a Kenmore, I know...

it's a Kenmore HE2t on the washer, and and HE2 on the dryer. The washer has some kind of stain-removal system that will start your stained item out in cold water, and gradually heat the water up to very very hot. That way, if you don't know for sure what temperature your stain will come out at, your item will run through all the temperatures and supposedly the stain will be removed more effectively this way.

Not sure I'll ever use that feature, but okay...

11. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

My best friend's washer died over Christmas break. I went washer shopping with her. She got a front loader, but both the sales gal and I had to talk her into it. She wanted to go with the cheapest she could get, but decided that the front loader would actually save her money. Since bringing it home, she told me she can do in 1 load what her old machine did in 3. She got a good deal, so went ahead and got the dryer. (And later told me that they always had to set the dryer cycle 3 different times to dry one load.) So she's washing and drying 3 loads in one--and will cut her drying time by 1/3 too.

She already sees the savings in time, and I'd bet she'll see a savings in her utility bills too. I know we all worry about investing in the more expensive appliances, but we all need to remember that sometimes the investment is the best buy in the long run.

OP, congrats on your deal!

12. Christine in OK

I know I'll be cutting my time in half at least - I put 12 big fluffy towels in it earlier today, and my old one (despite being a big tub) would only hold 5 and wash them effectively.