I bought a doe today!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caren, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

Her name is Abigail she is a Nubian Lamancha cross and is possibly bred back already and may kid in October! She was running with both a Lamancha and a Nubian Buck. So go figure. One of them had to have gotten her. $125 I think that is a deal especially if she is already bred and has kidded before. so she even knows how to be milked. Not that I know how to milk her ....

Well did I do good or bad?

Caren

2. Caren

They pulled records and figured out who the parents were and that she had already kidded they said they would mail me papers later.

Something that bothered me though and remember I haven't been to many goat farms but this bugs me. The crap was taller than my 6 year old. they just kept moving the fences higher. I couldn't beleive it. I would just die of my barn had that much crap in it. These guys may have lots of goats but they are so overloaded with goat and thier jobs off the farm that they can't keep up with anything. The bedding ontop of the "hill" was clean and the kids people kids that is noticed there wasn't much of an odor until you walk over into that part where the rabits are jeez they stink. all of the cages were hanging suspended in mid air. I've never seen anything like it. one of the reasons I don't have rabbits is I feel bad for them having to live in such a small space. What kind of a life is that.

Any ways back to the goats. I did notice one goat with a boil that needed lancing and they said that was probably related to a piece of hay imbedding it's self under the skin. They do routinely worm thier goats and then spot worm then when necessary do it again.

Nice people but so I don't even know how to describe it. I'd have taken more if I could've just get them out of there. Unless this is a normal goat farm....

Caren

3. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

No, not all goat farms are like that. Most farms are fairly clean. Some farms clean out every week, some twice a year, some once a year. I completely clean out (to the floor spray down with leach) twice a year. In between I take the bedding down to a managable level ( 1-1 1/2 feet). In the winter however it is good to leave some accumulated bedding and feces in their housing (ONLY as long as it is a WELL ventalated area). Keep the top layer clean with straw or even (as I frequently do) use the leftover hay that they don't eat as bedding. This accumulated bedding with a clean "sheet" helps to keep them warmer than a completely cleaned out barn. Also, barns with a full hayloft, and or hay make the barns extra warm.

Goats do get abcesses or boils. it is not a common thing but you will see it. You need to be careful though as it could be that the goat had CL. However, you CAN tell the difference between CL and a common hayseed abcess. CL is a disease that creates abcesses all over the body, it is mostly on the back part of the cheek, behind the cheek, on the neck and uper body. A hayseed abcess is located right behind the lips od the goats where their back teeth come together. A goat can bite her cheek just like you and I. Then some part of hay gets in it and irritates and festers causing an abcess. It can be lanced and will go away with time. Sometime though, they can keep reinjuring that abcess, and it will need to be surgiclly removed. Her teeth might need filed also.

Make sure you have another goat companion for her soon. Goats do not do well at all by themselves. Especially if they have been in a large herd for very long. They get really stressed out and stressing a bred doe out is not a good idea it could cause her to abort. A wether or another doe would work well as a companion, don't run her with another buck as it could be really stressful for her and when you want to milk and use the milk it will have a bucky flavor.

You will want to up date her on her CD&T shot. She will need one now, and it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and give her a second one about 4 weeks before she is due to kid as this will give the kids immunity.

You will also want to worm her now. Since she has been moved and they have that many goats, you will need to worm her, use panacure or safe guard as it is safe to use on bred does.

4. Caren

Where do I get the safe guard and panacure? And the cd&t shot?

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Get your goat tested for CAE before you get attached to her.

6. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

You can get CD&T at your local farm store. Or call your large animal vet and get it from them. You can also call your vet to get panacure. Have them give you only enough for a couple wormings. It is 1cc per 20 lb. and then 12 hours later 1cc per 20 lb again. So if you have a nubi-munchie mix I would gestimte that she ways about 150 lb. It is really hard to overdose on panacure so she would need 7 and 1/2 cc per 12 hours. So if you only want enough to worm her this time you would only need 15cc of it. It is nice to have on hand though so that you don't have to run to the vet to get it whenever you need to worm one goat. I get 100cc at a time.

About the CAE. It is a good idea to go ahead and get her tested to find out if she is negative or positive. However, if you are not planning on showing her, taking her anywhere to be with other goats, it is not a huge deal if she does have CAE. It does not effect humans. It might make her life shorter, she might get hard bag or mastitis easier, and she might get arthritis. But may does with CAE don't ever show any signs they have it. If you have other goats that are negative for it, separate her from them don't let them come into contact at all, not even through fencing or feed pans or water buckets. Take her kids away from her and bottle feed them the colostrum from her after you have heat treated it. Feed them her milk after it is pasturized.