Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aldi's had pumpkins for a penny each so we bought 14 of them. They are the round orange ones usually used for carving, I was going to use them to feed to the chickens but is there anything else I can do with them?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
They are probably no different than squash. I grew pumpkins one year, made pie then took the rest and made squash for a dinner dish. They weren't as sweet as squash so I added some brown sugar to compensate. Some one wanted my recipe, except I had none, just pumpkin and brown sugar which I guessed at the amount. Some pumpkins are coarser than pie pumpkins and may not be as nice but should still be eatable.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We roast the seeds here, and feed the rest to the chickens. You could make pumpkin bread, soup, or pie with them, roast or grill with your choice of savory spices etc. I must confess that I have not found any way to prepare pumpkin that I care to eat.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Our pig and chickens love the pumpkins. Our goats won't touch them.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I dehydrated many pumpkins this year and then ground the dried pieces into chunky powder. It's easy to store, easy to rehydrate to make pumpkin puree and I use it in stews and soups for thickening instead of flour or corn starch.
Depending on the size, if I have a big enough pot, it's easiest for me to just cut a slit near the top and boil them whole until soft (not mush). The skin is easy to peel off, the insides are easy to scoop and feed to the chickens (or roast seeds or compost). Cut the soft/cooked pieces, dehydrate and pulverize in a food processor.
If they are too big to boil whole, you could bake them in your oven or a roaster oven.
I have no freezer room so getting 3-4 pumpkins stored in a left over peanut butter jar works for me very well.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Good score!

Your chickens will eat them right down to the skins. Cows will eat them too. You could cook them down like squash and freeze the pulp. Make soup or pie with them. Roast the seeds. At the very least they'll compost down for your garden.

I bought a pick up truck load and have been feeding them to the chickens and cows everyday for over a week now.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The carving pumpkins I buy super cheap like that for the yard birds. They 'll last forever practically in a dark coolish spot. The chickens get one a month....they LOVE it. Plus I've read the seeds are a natural dewormer for them.

If you want to eat the pumpkins, I have baked in the oven until soft and then freeze in 2 c. portions. The big pumpkins make a much watery product that is really only good for adding to muffins and such vs. the small pumpkins. Those are more suitable and flavorful for pies. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts