I appreciate my parents more as I've gotten older

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Nov 29, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I am now 22 years old and I ADORE my parents! They are just the best parents God ever made (I think so :D) and they are so full of knowledge and advice!

I was super rebellious when I was in high school, I couldn't wait to get out of GA. Well now I'm 5,000 miles away 4 years later and I realize you don't miss the water until the well runs dry..or the well is very far away lol.

Tonight I used bleach to de-mold our shower. It burned away my sense of smell! Super scary since I couldn't smell a thing! I called home and a good talk full of advice from my Mom and Dad :) It was so good to call home and hear them, it helps in super stressful situations. My sense of smell is returning slowly which makes me happy!

I love the 2Pac song called Dear Mama. He says one line " Through the drama, I can always depend on my Mama". Isn't that true :)

Katrina

2. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Oh I know, that's a GREAT song! I loved the video for that, I'm not a TuPac fan but I loved that!!!

3. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I think I'll appreciate my parents even more when I have experienced things like not sleeping because the baby just won't stop crying, changing endless diapers, hearing my toddler spout off a new word that couldn't possibly have been learned at home, soothing my bawling child after he falls and scrapes his knee, setting rules and watching my child try to break them, etc. All those things that every parent goes through that can't be understood completely until one goes through them.

I think right now I'm still a little self-righteous and independent, but that should start changing once I'm faced with all those little things that my parents went through.

4. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Yes largentdepoche ~ I agree...I am still apologizing to my parents as to how I acted in my teens! :rolleyes:

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Me too! If I had been them, I'da just killed me and been done with it.

/VM

6. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I was a "difficult" child when I was in my teens. At 18, I knew my parents were so stupid, I wondered how they could manage anything. Funny thing. As I got older, they got smarter. For years, after I became a (responsible) adult, I would send my mother a thank-you card on my birthday. (Thank you for not drowning me when you could have!)

As I was raising children, I knew I could always count on my mother to be there to "talk me down off the ledge". Both my parents are gone now and I think what I miss the most is just being able to talk to them. I am trying to be the kind of mother to my daughter that my mother was to me. I was lucky my parents never gave up on me.

7. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

This is exactly what I miss most. I don't know how many times I think "I really need to tell Mom & Dad about this" and realize with a sense of shock they have been gone for 15 years now.

I wasn't a major problem except for my senior year of high school, as if just being a problem child for one year was better than years of problems ... but by the time I was in my early 30s I started to realize they were smarter than I had realized. I started actually seeking their advice on things by that time, I think, and the last 10 or 15 years of their lives they were my closest friends as well as being my parents.

They provided me with a background that has helped me stay sane all my life and gave me role models to follow even when I didn't consciously realize it.

I don't believe there has been a single day since their deaths that I have not thought of something I wish I could tell them, or talk over with them ... or just enjoy with them.

8. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Amen, amen. I'd love to be able to call up my parents. I'm glad to see folks appreciating theirs :)

~~

9. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

This is my biggest fear. I am very close to both of my parents, and it's horrible to think of them just not being there anymore. I've always been very independent, so I'm sure they'd be surprised to know just how much their simple presence matters to me, but it does.

I wish they'd take better care of themselves. :nono: