Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard about a new law Congress passed.
Will affect the lead content in children’s articles.
I heard about this from a lady on the radio this morning. She gave this website
www.narts.org
and after reading some of it Im really worried and think resale stores like the salvation army are doomed to close. I love to go to these stores.:Bawling:
She said it will also affect e-bay sales, flea markets and even yard sales!?!

I know a lot of us here including me go to these stores and also flea markets and some do a lot of e-bay stuff. And a lot of us clothe our children from these stores and go to them regularly. That’s why I put in here instead of general chat.
Has anybody heard of this before?
Im just flabbergasted at this.
I just can’t believe the government would try and make yard sales into dens of illegal activity. It’s crazy!
I found this article too. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090110/OPINION03/901100458/1001/BIZ

·
Banned
486 Posts
Better to worry about all those rich and well todo that buy all the stuff that goes to these stores. They have quit buying. The stores could very well be hurting if this goes on long. Nasty rich people stickin it to the poor again. :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is from the link Melissa provided.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

So they dont need to test each article of donated, dont know where they came from clothing but they still cannot sell any of of the banned clothing???

How are they going to know? They won't and that is the problem.

In other words ALL the resale and thrift stores will no longer risk selling ANY childrens clothing or furnature or toys or shoes so they wont be chanced with violating the law.
One goof and they get an $8000 & up fine.
Goof just once a day out of the thousands of racks at each Salvation Army and in a week the stores will be bankrupt.

So no more buying kids stuff at resale stores. Only retail after next month.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
People should just ignore it. They can't arrest everyone. Whatever happened to a little civil disobedience? I realize people unfortunately don't have the stomach for tar and feathering anymore (to our everlasting shame) but you'd think at least a couple of people would just tell the thugs to get bent and ignore these imperial dictates.

We'd be a lot better off if people would just start ignoring these sorts of things instead of slavishly bending and presenting when a bureaucrat comes slithering in with some imperial decree.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I also shop at these stores. My question is, what happens to the children's homes, the homeless shelters, etc that are supported by these stores when their income drops or they are forced to close due to this new law. I would miss the good deals, but some of these other places would be forced to close as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
From what was in the newspaper, it will not affect thrift stores, consignment shops etc....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lady I heard on the radio was on Yesterday.
Ya it is very confusing.
I have been trying to understand it myself. & I really hope this is all wrong.

The lady explained a bit of it. What they did to start was try to protect NEW manufacturing of lead in children’s things. Ages 0-12. Then they changed it to be retroactive and to include the selling of ANYTHING ever made before.
The resale’s stores exemption is only that they are exempt from testing each thing. But they are not exempt from selling now banned stuff including anything that was made before the law takes place.

She said they simply wont be able to risk the fines and will have to stop selling children’s things. Stores that sell only children’s resale will go out of business. It still affects e-bay sellers and those that make handmaid things to sell. There is some gov. requirements that they have to do ($) in order to comply with the new law, that your average Grama making baby booties to sell will not be able to afford. (Testing also would damage the thing they want to sell.)

She said everything in their inventory that is not sold by the Feb.10 inaction of the law will fill landfills through out the country. They also will have the problem of disposing of donated things that people still will donate, causing them disposal costs, which takes away from their charity work.

I agree that not being able to sell these things at yard sales is ridiculous.

She suggested writing your congress person to get the retroactive part cut out of the law. She provides links and more info answering questions at the site I put up there. www.narts.org

I guess that the new law requires labels in each thing proving they comply with the law. So until these things filter down into the resale stores market (years folks) there will be no more children’s things at resale stores.

I just found out it includes children’s books also.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
There has never, to my knowledge, been a case of lead poisoning from anything bought 2nd hand. So don't worry.

Besides, as Quint said, a little civil disobedience is a good thing. :viking:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Resale shops are exempt. Thats what you need to know. They AREN'T aloud to sell recalled stuff - and thats why resale shops keep up on recall lists and make sure that they don't sell something thats not aloud. There will be, essentially NO change for them.

I'm not a huge fan of this law, I admit, but I'm also not nearly as freaked about it as some are (ie: resale shops are fine, libraries are/will be fine, etc).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:Oh Great I never thought of libraries.

Resale stores are still not safe either. I just called and spoke to the regional director of the Salvation Army in our area. I figured if anybody new they would.
She said as of right now they are carrying on as usual. They do sort out and pull recalled items. But that they still have not heard final word from headquarters yet about what they are going to be doing about it, what will change and what wont.
She said there is still the chance that they may have to discontinue All children’s things but she was more of the impression it would just be toys and furniture. But still she could not say for absolute sure.
So they are just waiting and right now to see what the higher ups and those in power do and how it will all end up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts