Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many things about my life that right now, are not so good. I'm dealing w/an alcoholic husband. I have health issues. I have a ton of work that needs to be done-both inside and outside of my house and I'm the only one that does it. Plus, instead of having the farm that I want, I live on just over 1/2 acre and have to board my horses. But in spite of this, in many ways, I am truly blessed.

Yesterday morning, I left the house B4 8:00. I went to the local county park for a bird walk. Then after the bird walk, I sat down and talked w/the naturalist B4 having the groundskeeper unload my canoe and a group of us went kaynoeing. (Everyone else was in a kayak, I was in a canoe, hence, kaynoeing.) We had quite an enjoyable time and were out for about 2 hours.

From there, I headed to the farm. The majority of my ride was past fields and orchards, not thru a town. I do self care of my horses, and the owner doesn't care what I do in my field. So, one corner of my field has a chicken coop and a run in it. I am finally getting my flock the way I want it. Plus, I have enough room out there to store about 200 bales of hay. I shouldn't have to worry about hay over the winter. I also have a small shed out there. Not only does it give me room to store horse stuff, but it's big enough for me to sleep there if I need to or want to.

My drive home from the farm was past more fields. I go thru one small town, and even that isn't like what most people think of when they think of a town. My church is in the middle, and there's a horse field behind it. Plus, most of the yards have farm fields behind them.

I went home a slightly different way than normal and got a basket of soft peaches for $10.00 I'm not sure how many pounds it was, but it was so much cheaper than buying them in a store. These will probably be dehydrated. I can also get apples for a good price and will be doing so when I'm done w/the peaches.

When I got home, I made tomato sauce from tomatoes I grew. The majority of my dinner was from stuff I had raised myself. I live next to the woods, so I don't have neighbors on that side. Plus, my house is the last house on a dead end street, and this area is not heavily populated. And, I have a small lake right down the street from me. I both fish and canoe in this lake.

While they are only pets, I do have goats. They enjoy eating the weeds from my garden, any trees I cut down or vines that I cut off. In turn, they provide me w/manure for the garden and any hay that they don't eat gets put around plants or on top of potatoes. Plus I will be bringing some of my older hens home to help w/bug control. I have a garden that's large enough to grow enough food for the winter and will be planting a small orchard.

So while my life is not 100% the way I want it, I am not stuck in the middle of a town w/people all around, and, other than having the amount of land that I want, and goats in milk, I have the animals I want. I grow my own vegetables. I have my own chickens for meat and eggs. I have my horses and am able to care for them how I want. There are plenty of places in the area where I can canoe and fish. I also have plenty of places to go for nature walks and even hunt. Too often, I look at the negatives. Instead, I need to spend more time looking at the positives.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Oh, and I forgot to mention I also have plenty of back roads to ride my Buell on. I won't ride on busy roads.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
and by sharing this you have become a blessing to me, as I also need to remember to focus on the positive. thank you for a lovely read and the gentle poke I needed just now.

·
Registered
31,256 Posts
Thanks. Oh, and I forgot to mention I also have plenty of back roads to ride my Buell on. I won't ride on busy roads.
Take care of and hang on to that Buell. Those are fun.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
The world would be a better place if everyone focused on the blessings in life instead of their troubles. Not saying I don't do the same. Fortunately I have been around enough to give myself a slap in the head and say "There but for the grace of God go I".
Many years ago in my single days I spent a lot of time in the woods. No matter what the weather was I would be out camping every chance there was. Sometimes if I got out of work early I would shoot up to the State land, build a leanto, spend the night and be back to work in the morning. Anyways, it always seemed that I was out in some of the lousiest weather there was. I would be cold, and wet, and tired but I would have a fire and in my hands have a hot cup of Tea. I would focus on that hot cup of Tea. It warmed my hands and its smell and taste became the most wonderful thing in the world. It taught that no matter what to enjoy the simple pleasures. This is one of the greatest lessons in life. Things can always be better, but I thank God each day because things could always be worse. I am blessed.

Reactions: unregistered41671

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
Dizzy I love your attitude. Instead of wallowing in your problems, you are squeezing every bit of good stuff out of your life. Thank you for the inspiration.

Reactions: unregistered41671

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The world would be a better place if everyone focused on the blessings in life instead of their troubles. Not saying I don't do the same. Fortunately I have been around enough to give myself a slap in the head and say "There but for the grace of God go I".
Many years ago in my single days I spent a lot of time in the woods. No matter what the weather was I would be out camping every chance there was. Sometimes if I got out of work early I would shoot up to the State land, build a leanto, spend the night and be back to work in the morning. Anyways, it always seemed that I was out in some of the lousiest weather there was. I would be cold, and wet, and tired but I would have a fire and in my hands have a hot cup of Tea. I would focus on that hot cup of Tea. It warmed my hands and its smell and taste became the most wonderful thing in the world. It taught that no matter what to enjoy the simple pleasures. This is one of the greatest lessons in life. Things can always be better, but I thank God each day because things could always be worse. I am blessed.
Years ago, I did a fun horse show and it was wetter than we were expecting. Nothing felt so good and was as much of a blessing that day as when I finally got home and got some dry socks on!

I wonder, if each of us everyday were to share one thing that we're thankful for, what kind of difference it would make in our day, our attitude, and those around us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts