I am such a dunce!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ninn, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

How you people survive being in contact with me just boggles the mind. Here I am, ranting and raving about that blasted draft from the front door. I have plastic on the inside and outside of every window in this house. Wanna hazard a guess as to which one I forgot? YUPP! The screen door. It has no storm window insert, and I never thought to cover it with plastic. That will be changed as soon as DH gets home and I have another set of hands to help. All I can say is "DUH LONA!!!!" :rolleyes:

2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Well at least you remembered it now!! Actually you are my kinda people...I'm uncomfortable around the 'perfect 'ones!! Have a nice (and warmer) day. :)

3. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

We have a screen door on the back that has no storm insert. I haven't covered that door but plan to today. I stopped at a furniture store yesterday to talk to a friend and they were getting ready to take the plastic off a king size mattress. Being the frugal person I am I asked if I could have the plastic. The plastic is really heavy and you can see through it. I'll be using it for both the door.

4. Ninn

Granny~

That's a great idea. There is a furniture store here locally, I bet I could get next year's supply of plastic collected over the summer for free! YAY! I love cheap solutions.

5. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Ninn if you have a window that you don't need to see out of fill the space between the window and storm/screen with bubble wrap. You will still get light but the bubble wrap will act as an extra layer of insulation.

I read that you didn't want to hang a quilt over the door because it was a main entrance. What if you were to hang a quilt on a sturdy rod. Then you could slide it over when you needed to. Think curtain rod. To keep the bottom end flush with the door you could sew metal washers or rocks into the back edge.

6. Ninn

Again-why didnt I think of that? Thanks for the clue, Lv. Got the plastic up and it made a 10 degree difference before the furnace man got here today. Some days I wonder how I function at all!!!!

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Just don't insulate the top of your commode with Saran Wrap !! :p fordy... :)

8. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

When we lived in the mountains of Arizona I had some raised beds and would put a hoop frame over them to extend the growing season. I always collected plastic from a mattress store and used it for the hoop frames. I also used that plastic over the windows on the storage shed and an unheated back porch. Cheap is good and free is even better.