I am such a chicken.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I have spent the past 3 weeks getting stuff ready for my very first try selling at a craft show. I picked a small market place being held at a church in a small town but busy torist town. The car is loaded with 5 lodge pole coat trees, my stone cabinet knobs, necklaces etc. Just now the show cancelled!! Like 12 hours before it is to begin. I am bummed about that for sure.

Turns out that I could maybe do the farmers market in Butte Montana tomorrow morning. It only cost like 20 bucks for a spot and from what I am reading I can just show up, pay and set up.

BUT I AM SCARED LOL What if...I am wrong and I need to have some special license or what if I am wrong and I can not just show up? I will be horrified (not something I am good at) So what do you say , should I give it a try or just pout and unload the car? TIA Kathleen

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Go For It!!!!!

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well if you cant get in, go to kings and have breakfast...

you are up and out, might as well have a stack of pancakes.

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I think you should go! Don't worry about it :)

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Oh, do it! The first show or market is always scary. I always freak out. And it always turns out just fine. It's really hard putting stuff you've made out for sale, it's sort of like putting a piece of yourself out for display. You'll be fine, and you'll find most of the other vendors there will be happy to give you a hand and some pointers. (last week a harpist set up for her first ever market. We were all right there helping her get the canopy up and tying her canopy onto our weights when the wind came up)

I know here, you just need a county business license to sell at the market. And if you don't have it with you, you can just fax it in sometime in the next week. It's good for the market to have new, interesting things coming in, and it's good for you to have the new customers walking through and looking at your wares. Everybody wins.

Worst case, you drive in, get told "I'm sorry, we need you to fill out x,y, and z before we accept you", take yourself out to breakfast, and get the weekly errands done while you're in town.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

wow, i forgot about those cool racks you make. i have visited your site when you first put it up. i visited the knob sales on ebay too. they looked great. i actually thought of you when i went hiking in a flood wash the other day and found a really cool swirly patterned stone. it would look good polished. i had not found anything like that stone since i visited copper harbor michigan as a kid...but i digress.

go for it and good luck. you should link your site again for those who have not seen it.

7. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

No point in packing the car for nothing. Go!

8. Niki

Niki mini-steader

You may need to have a vendor's license, but the worse that can happen is they say "sorry, nope, nada, no can do" and if that is the case, then you will have learned something so not all is lost ;)

Good luck at the show!! :)

9. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Go! Seize the day! Just remember to get yourself about fourty dollars in change so that when someone hands you a twenty and wants change-you'll have some to give.-Randy's wife

10. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

The fear of something is usually worse than the real thing.

"Courage is when you have options"

Go and have fun, and if for some reason it doesn't work out use it as a learning experience.

GR

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

ok, you have convinced me! i am still scared but i am going and if i cannot get in then i will go food and animal feed shopping and find some way to get it all in my stuffed car! thanks for the words of wisdom and support i will let you all know what happens. kathleen

12. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

13. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Atta Girl! :clap:

14. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If it'a a craft show, isn't someone overlooking the event? I used to set up tables with the ex at our local craft shows. Usually a minimal fee was collected for booth or table space. Only a private show once I held in a local town motel I required a city vendor's permit but there were no other exhibitors. I don't know how it works with your event, but I'd contact whoever was at the scene. Someone must be overlooking the show that can set you straight about setting up, isn't there? :shrug:

15. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

two things to remember.
    don't sit down and be not available to the potential customers
    don't cross your arms
    engage people pleasantly about what you are selling. if you are interested in your wares, others will be too
    don't expect everyone that stops by the first time to buy, they look around and may come back to your table to buy if they remember you telling them something of interest about your product.

good luck. :)

16. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Unless you are selling food, there's a good chance that you won't need a license. We used to have a space at a huge flea market, & all that was required was the fee for using the space.

17. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't wait to hear how it went. I'm a big chicken too with new stuff like you can't even imagine.

18. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Good luck to you - I am sure it will go well. Please say hello to Butte for me - Lord I miss Montana!

19. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Good luck!
    My first two were rainy day disasters, but I did awesome at a local fair.
    again, Good luck . I know you'll do well.

20. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Well?

How did it go?