Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife decided she needed a treadmill, so I marched down to Walmart and bought her one, not an expensive one, but a fold-up that can be tucked in a corner when not in use.
Heavy SOB, probably around a hundred or so pounds, maybe a bit more, in a big cardboard case full of styrofoam, strapping etc.

Wrestled it out of the truck onto the garage floor, found "unpacking instructions" (pictographs) on the side of the carton. opened it, found a card with bolts, washers, allen wrenches BUT NO ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS.

Tried the email on the side of the box, no response. Called Walmart and complained, the lady there connected me with NORDITRAC, apparently the people who made this pile of junk. Waited until supper time on hold, finally called Walmart and told them I'd complain again tomorrow. Walmart may get this thing back.

Any company that sends out pieces of equipment with an assembly kit but no instruction deserves to go under---it has to be run by idiots. The whole time I was on hold some recorded jerk was telling how great Nordictrac equipment was. Now I have to spend another day dealing with some half-wit across the country who doesn;'t give a damn about my time and aggravation.++++++++

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
9,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Sounds like the manufacturer just left out the manual. If you search online with the model number, you could probably find an online copy in PDF form.
What is the model number?

Yes, it is aggravating. But it might be a lot less work for you to find the pdf file and print it out (or find a video) as opposed to boxing it up and hauling it back.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I agree that the instructions can be found online, or even you tube. Providing that you have the patience to watch a movie instead of a quick read of the instructions.

Personally it would already have gone back and another box taken to the parking lot. If that one had no instructions it would go back. Yes, I am the kind of person that would get and send every freaking box they have back, opened and rearranged. Want to waste my time, I can sure waste someone else’s.

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
Rambler, my late dh was like you, but he's gone and I need all the help I can get in putting things together. I think they want us to go online for instructions which is a pain in the backside. I want written instructions that are right beside me so I can read and re-read without going to my computer which is a desktop in my office at the opposite side of the house from the garage. I do not have a smart phone or other devise. Some of the instructions I've gotten with products are written is such poor English they are difficult to understand and sometimes very funny. I do not want to use my paper and very expensive printer ink to print out instructions to save them a few cents on a product I buy.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am fortunate that I almost never read manuals, so I don’t run into these problems.

Paul
The manuals are always poor English translations rendered by someone ho doesn't know either language but just uses a Chinese/English dictionary to transpose words without the slightest idea about grammar.

Macro-- Are we to assume you live in a ghetto or tiger infested jungle and it would be unsafe for the wife to just walk outside for exercise?...Is it time for her 10AM slap yet?:)

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
one of my husband's could do all that also without any manuals. i couldn't even do it with one! never any good at that. i had to wait a couple months until my son got a day off to put together a small table. i see now there are a couple fellas in halifax that is all they do . go around and assemble furniture from Ikea, HD, walmart etc. if i ever buy anything like that again i'll call them. ~Georgia

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Everything we've bought in the last couple of years has included only a website where you can download a .pdf file for instructions/user manuals. I can't think of anything in the last years that actually came with instructions in the packaging - and I use the manuals, so I'd know they were there, if they were included.

It does beg the question -- how do people that do not have smart phones, computers (like my Aunt & Uncle) get anything done? In our case, they call me. For example, they bought a tree, it died. They contacted the nursery for a replacement who said they needed to email them pictures of the dying tree and their receipt. They have a landline and no computer. Hey - niece, what does this mean and what do we need to do? I drove over, took pics, emailed to the nursery - new tree was delivered following week.

It's a very digital world.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Come on guys, you know
It's all about the money - cheaper for companies to post on-line than print out directions for every machine they sell.

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Rambler, my late dh was like you, but he's gone and I need all the help I can get in putting things together. I think they want us to go online for instructions which is a pain in the backside. I want written instructions that are right beside me so I can read and re-read without going to my computer which is a desktop in my office at the opposite side of the house from the garage. I do not have a smart phone or other devise. Some of the instructions I've gotten with products are written is such poor English they are difficult to understand and sometimes very funny. I do not want to use my paper and very expensive printer ink to print out instructions to save them a few cents on a product I buy.
I fully understand and agree with all you and others have to say.

sort of related, I have chosen not to get acell phone, I hate phones, tho I live my tablet and computers and help folks with stuff like that, I hate phones....

So, now with the virus stuff, everyone wants to do instant phone communications. As a farmer, that is a lot of business that used to be done over there office desk, now work on the phone and send texts or pics. If you stop by for an apt call when you get there to unlock the door.... it gets real complicated for me because it’s assumed everyone has a cell phone.

it’s my choice To not get a phone and I understand that, but some days you just want to roll your eyes - and there is now no one to see it so it’s wasted effort. :)

·
Registered
21,122 Posts
Wife decided she needed a treadmill, so I marched down to Walmart and bought her one, not an expensive one, but a fold-up that can be tucked in a corner when not in use.
Heavy SOB, probably around a hundred or so pounds, maybe a bit more, in a big cardboard case full of styrofoam, strapping etc.

Wrestled it out of the truck onto the garage floor, found "unpacking instructions" (pictographs) on the side of the carton. opened it, found a card with bolts, washers, allen wrenches BUT NO ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS.

Tried the email on the side of the box, no response. Called Walmart and complained, the lady there connected me with NORDITRAC, apparently the people who made this pile of junk. Waited until supper time on hold, finally called Walmart and told them I'd complain again tomorrow. Walmart may get this thing back.

Any company that sends out pieces of equipment with an assembly kit but no instruction deserves to go under---it has to be run by idiots. The whole time I was on hold some recorded jerk was telling how great Nordictrac equipment was. Now I have to spend another day dealing with some half-wit across the country who doesn;'t give a damn about my time and aggravation.++++++++

You can do it. Real men only use directions as a last resort. I always found the directions a bit confusing and sometimes downright dumb. Why would they tell you in step 4 to tighten the bolts and below that tell you to first put on the lock washers? Too late.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am so embarrassed that I am flabbergasted. Wife read the "User Manual" which was to tell her how slim she'd get if she used that treadmill. In the front of the book, page 2 or 3 maybe, there were pictures and instructions for putting the thing together---no big job if you had any idea where the botts and pieces went---merely standing up the control panel and arms. Once she found the "how to" I'd work a few minutes, sit and puff, then go again and in two hours had it done. HOWEVER. the book says it has to have a circuit to itself when operating---cannot run anything else on that circuit at the time.= It also says it cannot be used in a garage or on a covered patio and cannot be exposed to direct sunlight. Wonder what that is all about..

Now all I have to do is wrestle that beast from the garage into the house and put it where the wife wants it.

Now why in the dickens did they not call that book "Assembly Instructions and User's Manual"?

LOL, for those of you who do stuff---the bolts they sent had so much blue loctite on them that it was almost impossible to start them, and then the wrench they supplied was a short Allen wrench. I wound up using a 5/16 box end as a cheater/

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Have to tell one on my SIL. She works from home and needed a new printer, she got a very nice one, wifi enabled and other functions. She opened to box to get the instruction booklet, ooops no booklet. She had a fit, while she was walking in circles, cussing and griping, her 14 year old son came in and plugged the printer in. Well, low and behold it printed out the instructions. Her son laughed and handed them to her. She said she didn't know whether to hug him or kick his butt for laughing so hard he was crying. Happy ending printer is great and she baked the boy a big batch of cookies for being the hero. 🤣

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Any more, it seems you can find instructions anywhere...in the box with the item, on the internet, do a scan, or search Reddit. A few of them are readable.

Back when I was in school and considering a career in technical writing, I imagined it would pay well, and offer me a future. Obviously now, not so much.

Mon

Reactions: crehberg
1 - 20 of 41 Posts