Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What is worse is if you have a husband that goes to sleep as soon as his head touches the pillow! Grrr.... LOL

I have one of those and he'll often start to snore right away as well and I just lay there listening wondering when I might fall asleep.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Just a suggestion. I have had terrible insomnia for several yrs. My soon to be SIL suggested Melatonin. Works real good for me. Anyway I feel your tiredness and hope you find something soon to help. tyusclan momma

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
I hate insomnia :grump:
I know what you mean. Are you opposed to OTC sleep aids? I finally had to resort to taking them periodically. My insomnia seems to come in cycles (hormones?) and I've learned that after the 2nd no-sleep night, it's time for help. A night or two seems to get my sleep cycle back to normal, so I can sleep through the night and truly feel rested.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,641 Posts
Had it for a long time finally went bonkers,it wasn't good.:Bawling:
big rockpile

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Have you tried Benadryl? It's not addictive and I heard that nursing homes use it.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
My sister suffers from insomnia terribly and has for years. No supplement or herb has ever worked for her. Only one book helped her much to reset her night after night after night insomnia. Basically she couldn't get into bed until she was ready to fall over (around midnight for her), no laying awake in bed, making sure the room was cool and dark and inviting for sleep. I would have to ask her the name of the book she read that helped.

I have had problems this last year. I was taking Tryptophan but I started getting way too vivid of dreams/nightmares and I didn't like it at all. I switched to 5-HTP and feel like the 5-HTP is a much better way to go. You can take it anytime of day. I am getting much more restful sleep.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
What is worse is if you have a husband that goes to sleep as soon as his head touches the pillow! Grrr.... LOL

I have one of those and he'll often start to snore right away as well and I just lay there listening wondering when I might fall asleep.
Yup, gotta snorer over here, too. I have become quite imaginative in ways to "accidentally" wake him...the body flop onto my pillows, the "gentle knudge" with my foot...the spare room across the hall, lol...

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any OTC sleep aids I've tried make my heart race, and herbal supplements USED to work, but aren't working now.

I think it's a combination of things. Mostly, it's anxiety -- and I figure that a great deal of that is caused by sunlight deficiency and lack of outside exercise. It's been so cold here since a couple of weeks before Christmas that we have been avoiding the outdoors. Being outside in the "fresh" air isn't fun when that "fresh" air is at what feels like absolute zero. And too much excitement over the holidays could be contributing, too.

Actually, I USED to get pneumonia every January/February, so this is a definite improvement ;) It's just MUCH more annoying, especially when the dog gets into the HABIT of being up at all hours. DH is suffering from it, too, so it's probably not helping that we're both sleepless and grumpy :(

Rose -- I tried reading boring political commentary on the net. It just ticked me off. So I tried just reading on the net.... that ticked me off more. Either I've got no patience, or everyone who posts any kind of political or lifestyle blog got stupid at the same time. To be fair, I think it's probably the former.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
melatonin works for me too. Hope you get some sleep Tracy.

Cindyc.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I couldn't sleep last night either.

Or the night before, despite having taken Tylenol PM. Two of them, which is the usual dose, though I normally only take one and it knocks me out. GRR.

Maybe I'll try the reading thing. My history prof from last quarter suggested reading John Keynes. :) Economics, y'know. Zzzzzzzzz

·
Broken Dreamer
2,320 Posts
Tracy, OTC sleep aids make your heart race? I tried Ambien and my heart nearly beat out of my chest - I did fall asleep in 40 minutes, though. However I have to avoid that now.

Going through a bad spell myself. For a week I'll get an hour or two of sleep, then wake up for hours, then maybe get another 3. I have a job and I have to be there. I'm still figuring out how to function - I am SO stressed out about it. :(

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just for credibility here, I can get insomnia so bad (several days in a row) that it lasts until I hallucinate. Long story, don't ask, lol. I get the racing thoughts or just simply an inability to relax, slow down and get sleepy.

I'm not a fan of using OTC medications. Herbal stuff sounds nice in moderation. The trick is to get rid of the problem not just treat the symptoms.

Ways that help me have been to establish a routine. Simple things like an evening shower and comfy jammies. Not eating a heavy meal close to bed time and reducing caffiene, trying not to engage in energized conversations about politics or watching action movies late at night etc. I don't try to sleep until I feel tired. Laying awake makes me crazy. Sometimes after a long night I find a cat nap during the day very refreshing. A little less sleep for short periods of time isn't bad as long as you find the time productive/relaxing/useful and it does not become a disruption for everyday life.

Studies have shown that a persons internal clock does not work in 24 hour solar cycles. Then, with the change of seasons and length of day it is no suroprise we can get out of whack. I try to listen to my body signals as long as I stay healthy and it doesn't disrupt regualr life activities, like I said before. Same thing goes for eating. How many of us have eaten at a standard meal time and may not have been especially hungry and skipped eating because it was the wrong time?? Living on a strictly programmed schedule is unnatural.

On my worst nights of insomnia I listen to the TV until I fall asleep. Sometimes letting my mind concentrate on something slow like a sitcom rerun on TVland is "quieter" in my mind than my racing thoughts. I even acquired a bad habit of sleeping the wrong direction in the bed so the TV sound isn't loud enough to bug DH. When I am feeling especially restless I sleep wrong side up with the TV. (yup, I'm a freak alright) Now, even if I feel okay I still like sleeping the wrong way, drives DH insane. lol

Recently I bought a white noise machine. It also has sounds like rainfall, ocean waves etc. It really helps a lot. I have a sound to distract me and it also drowns out a lot of the other sounds that wake me during my light sleep like barking dogs, furnace kicking on etc. DH loves it too because he can finally turn off the oscilating fan I use for noise only. Moving from a noisy city to a quiet village didn't help get me any more regular either.

yeah, insomnia, gotta love it! (NOT)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts