Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:flame::flame:Circuit Cities ad in todays paper gave various savings on various things and on the back page said "Nintendo DS- Regularly 29.99-Buy One get One for 1/2 price"
There were a few pictures of various Nintendo DS game covers around the print- then you went into the PC games section.
I have 2 teenage and 2 almost teenage grandchildren (the youngest is 5 going on 40) and with only me working, Christmas is going to be slim...this is right AFTER the christmas where we BOTH were working and the grandkids got everything on their wish lists and extra besides. We headed for circuit city. Once there Grandfatherbear called ddil (got to talk with ds a little too as he is just back from a month in the field) and I called dd. Both put the grandkids on with us directly since they hadn't gotten around to having the kids pick out their Christmas wants list -despite my having asked for it since Labor Day!!
The grandkids were ecstatic!Between the 4 of them we wound up with 7 Nintendo DS games, 1 PS2, 2 GBAs and a video of Super Chicken/Star Wars travesty. Went to check out-
and we got ONE Nintendo DS for 1/2 off.
Queried the cashier why we didn't have 3 at 1/2 off- after all we had bought 7 games-and she said "You only get the games that are pictured on the ad".
It didn't say that in the ad. It said Regularly 29.99 buy one get 1/2 off- I showed her the ad and she said again- just those 4 games pictured on the ad.
I asked her for a number for complaints. She ignored me. I stood in the line refusing to move on and said I wanted an address to write to and a phone number to call and she finally wrote a number on the back of our rgister tape.
Then we had to go to Home Depot for dirt and I couldn't wait- I was calling the number, getting more and more upset with the menu, when- unimaginably! I got a live person!
I explained that I had just made a large purchase at their Sebring store, only because I had had the grandchildren on the line and they were aware we were buying them these games, but I felt this was the worst case of fraudulent advertising I had ever seen and if it hadn't been for the grandkids I would have put everything back and I certainly was never going to patronize Circuit City ever again. I explained about the ad. I explained about the 7 Nintendo games and only getting one for half off. The tech said she understood about having the grandchildren expecting that the games we told we would be getting would be there for them. She pulled up the Sunday ad and found the Nintendo DS section. She agreed that it seemed to be for any regular 29.99 game- buy one get one for half off- she took my number, said we would hear back either tonight or tomorrow but she was going to call the Sebring store and discuss this with her supervisor. She didn't PROMISE we would get credited for 2 more half offs, but she said it certainly looked as if that was what the ad said.
I'm hoping we get called and they'll credit us back on the debit card for two more half offs- Grandfatherbear the pessimist thinks they'll only give us "store credit"..in which case I would feel like I had to go back to TRY to get my money's worth, but I really don't ever want to shop there again.
Siggh, shoulda listened to dear old dad- back in 1967 I asked him if we couldn't go to Circuit City (again I had read a newspaper ad) and he refused. When I pressed him for why, all he would say was "There are a multitude of reasons..."

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hope Circuit City goes down the toilet where they belong. It is an AWFUL retail center and the customer service is rotten. I'm sorry for the good folks that will lose jobs but that company has no business being in business the way they treat customers.

Can you tell I was ripped off?

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I'm not surprised they're going under! I haven't shopped there in years. I will pay more rather than patronize them. Years ago when they sold appliances we bought a new top of the line fridge with an extended warranty. It was a piece of junk! We had a repairman out every six months for 5 years. The warranty stated that after fixing it 3x for the same problem they would replace it. Well every time they came out it was the same issue but they never gave me a receipt and I just didn't think to ask. When I tried to get them to replace it they balked. i wrote complaint after complaint, filed with the BBB, all to no avail. We finally jsut went and bought a used fidge when the warranty went out cause we were just so fed up. Haven't had ANY issues with that one and its still going strong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't forget to contact the Better Business Bureau!!! Click on the national link and file a complaint....they have 10 days to respond to them. We had trouble with AT&T, I filed the compliant on Nov 15 and was called from the office of the president of AT&T on the 20th. Situation resolved civilly.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I would have gotten a manager and gotten the games for 1/2 off. They have the worst customer service of any store I've been. I haven't shopped there in years because of it. I would keep making noise until they honor the ad. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, at all.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I've made only two major purchases from CC (a surround sound system about 6 years ago and my laptop a little more than a year ago) and both times I got great deals, especially the laptop. I didn't have to work with customer service, though. I had major problems with Comp USA customer service before, but they are out of business now (at least the ones around here). I hope you get your refund/credit - good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts