I am small engine challenged.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by HoosierDeb, May 20, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I've always had trouble starting anything that has a pull cord on it. I recently bought a 4 cycle gas string trimmer. It was supposed to be "easy starting". A friend of mine started it the first time for me and I started it one time after that but since then haven't been able to get it started. My nephew was here today and I asked him to see if he could get it started for me. It started with one pull. I wasn't dressed to work outside at the time so I had him shut it off and I went and changed clothes. He's gone and now I can't get the d**n thing started. What is wrong with me? Can trying repeatedly to start it cause it to flood? Did I flood it by pressing the bulb that primes it since it had been started once less than an hour ago? Is it a big cosmic joke... lets make Deb crazy (crazier???)? I think I should just buy a few sheep and goats and forget the whole thing.. better for the environment anyway.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If the engine is cool enought to touch, pump the primer, close the choke, open the throttle all the way. Pull until you get responce, a few firing sounds. Now, shut off the choke, open the throttle fully and pull again for a few trys. To clear the flodding open the throttle, pull it through as much as it takes, it will clear eventually, if all is well with the carb settings - which sounds correct because of the earlier starts.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Pound the trimmer thoroughly with a big hammer and buy some sheep. Or if you must trim grass yourself follow Moopups instructions. I just prefer the sheep for grass cutting and the BBQ!

4. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Not to be mean but make sure the on/off switch is turned to on.

My suggestion is to start it like your mad. Give the rope a good yank. 2cycle carburators work off of engine vacuum and it sometimes needs a good fast pull to make them work.

Jon

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

These cords need to be pulled with a lot of force.

You might be able to set it in front of a clothes pole or something to hold it from moving while you pull.

Follow Mitch's sugestion, and sure, be certain the switch is on.

6. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

There is a little bit of a 'knack' in pulling the cord. Dont just yank on a slack string as most of your effort will be wasted. Instead, first gently pull the cord until you feel a real resistance, this will be when the piston is on the compression stroke and all the slack in the starter mechanism has been taken up. While still holding the cord tight, take a deep breathe then pull with all your might.

7. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently purchased a $$ weed eater. I couldn't start it. Several mechanically inclined guys couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Everything looked right, but no spark.

I took it as a personal challenge at that point to figure out what was wrong with it. Three hours later ... get ready for this ... I figured out that the gap on the spark plug was too wide. Beat spark plug on a rock until it started and sounded right.

Duuuuuuh moment. Starts fine now. Problem solved with application of kinetic energy to problem part.

Check to see if you're getting a spark when you pull the cord. If you're getting a good spark, it's a fuel issue. If you're not getting a spark, it's an electrical issue. Take it from there.

And yeah, there's a technique to it, but you should at least be able to hear it turning over even if it's not starting, if you're pulling the cord and you just need to pull a little harder & smoother & faster.

Leva