i am sick of picking strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, May 29, 2006.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i have 3 rows. 3feet by 50 feet. we have picked and picked and pickes. at least 20 gallons. we have put them in the freezer. ate them. had a party. gave some away. sold some. my back is hurting. probably closer to 30 gallons. i love strawberries. but i'm ready to mow them down. i cant get anything done. i hate to see them go to waste.
    randy

2. randy in central missouri

my next row of raised bed strawberries will only be 2 foot wide. that middle foot is hard to pick without stepping on the plants.
    randy

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

And I can't grow them here in SW MO even though this is the part of the state that was well know for their strawberry farms years ago.

I have tried but the bermuda grass is so well established in the only sunny areas that I have I can't grow them. I have even tried raised beds but the darn grass gets in those too. The wind or birds must be planting it there.
    Before the grass takes over the rolly polly bugs eat what few I get. :Bawling:

4. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

Randy, from your past posts I have seen, you are like the berry guru. Some of us are jealous of that so go ahead and rub it in. You've earned it. :cool:

Thanks for the tip about the size of the raised beds. I was going to do a 6'x6' type of arrangement for next year. The design will have to be changed now and I am glad to do it on paper instead of having to dig.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I have 1 plant that shows promise. I think the storm killed the rest.

6. moore_farm

moore_farm Well-Known Member

what strain did you plant Randy. I need to have some in my freezer and 30 gallons setting around for nothing.

7. randy in central missouri

i have two row of Whoppers. a henry field variety that they don't carry two years later. they are a decent berry, fairly good taste. an early june berry. they do make some big berrys, although they finished in may. the other variety is quinalt, its suposed to be big and have a hint of peaches. its a juicy june berry. It has to be picked a little early. when its at a lite red, not a deep red. once the berry turnes a deep red the bugs have found them. it seems i through alot away yesterday, because of the bugs.

I started a row of honey eye this year.

the raised beds work well. strawberries don't like to sit in water. they seem to really do well on the sides of the raised beds. i think because, they started in the mountains somewhere, i think peru. i don't use boards on my raised beds, just hill them up.

my secret to good berries, is good good dirt, raised beds and lots of attention.

randy

8. moore_farm

moore_farm Well-Known Member

Can you give some instruction on make raisied beds and how much space between each plant.

9. Abuelo in TX

Abuelo in TX Active Member

Randy it's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

I planted 50 plants this spring, only 13 survived so far, and they are pretty puny. I think I drowned most of them. I will have to redo and make a raised bed next year. Many of us wish we had your problem. I love strawberries

10. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I planted 50 and lost 30. The lone plant from last year has produced three berries and I managed to get to one of them before the bugs. *sigh* I feel your pain.

/VM

11. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Dry them, can them, and freeze them for milkshakes.

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Hmmm.... Seems like maybe good ol' Randy would appreciate a visit from his HT friends, to come and help him pick all those berries.

Road trip, anyone? ;)

Pony!

13. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

I'm there!

We're going picking tomorrow evening at the local farm. We don't have the sunlight or the space for a patch of our own :Bawling: Last summer we picked 30 lbs., froze and canned them and ran out halfway thru the winter...This year we're going to pick twice as much!!!

14. randy in central missouri

we've got cake and strawberries and whip cream. anyone want some?

15. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I am jealous, my mom mows mine down so every year I have less of them :Bawling:
    mine are wild strawberries so it would take alot of them to get 30 gallons, nice bite size though, they dont require that much sun either as they naturally grow in the woods around tree trunks.

16. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Randy,

If only I had your problem I would never complain. Don't you know that garden gnomes monitor these threads and next year you won't get a single strawberry for your impertinence. Some gardeners never learn.

Nikki

P.S I'll take some of that strawberry shortcake!

17. randy in central missouri

its raining. we might have more strawberries coming. i didn't want to water them, and pay for the water. but now that its rained, i expect more to come on. there was some small ones starting. maybe they will fill out.

18. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

I don't see any mention of jam making. Make lots of jam and give it as presents.

19. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooohhh, Randy, you're making my mouth water! My berries look good this year, but they are all still GREEN!!! I sure I hope I have your "terrible problem" this year, lol. I'm looking forward to shortcake, jam, and just eating them fresh out in the garden. Have my fingers crossed that my freezer will be well stocked this winter, too. Love to snack on fresh/frozen berries in the middle of winter. I have 5 rows, 8' long, loaded with green berries and lots more blossoms. I just got the netting on, so I should be able to get a fair share from the birds. I went to soaker hoses and deep mulch this year, too, and the garden is fenced to keep my goats and the local deer out (I hope). Between all those, I'm hopeful for a good harvest of everything, including the strawberry patch. :)

20. randy in central missouri

i had two ladies come by yesterday. they both wanted a gallon. so i picked them. one showed up. the other didn't. so last night i was cutting strawberries and watching mash. got another 3 quarts of sliced strawberries for the freezer. with i could of sold them.
    randy