I am officially the queen of the mountain!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Oct 28, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I always said I would be the queen of this mountain if only I had water.....today I offically have water and have become Queen! Some of you may remember my heart break summer of 04 when we drilled a 380 foot ten grand dry well. That hole did have some water in it that we figure was from seep along the bedrock. Then a few months ago the earth quake made our 380 ft bore hole into a 120 foot bore hole. We finally decided we could wait not longer, bought a bunch of 4 " well casing and set out to see what we could see. We were able to push through the plug at 110 feet but were stopped at 170 feet. Saved up some more money 600.00 to buy a pump, some special submersible wire and some back polly tubing and began our experiement last Sunday. Pumped 195 gal from the well (which then brought the water level below the pump level) with the pump hanging at 150 feet down the hole and the static water level at 22 feet in this 6 " hole. then 60 hours later we pumped another 195 gal's, then 48 hours later we pumped another 195 gal's, and today 24 hours later we pumped again and got 195 gal's! I am dancing in the mud now! It looks like we can get about 1200 gal's a week from our dry well which is now a seep spring! I can water a little grass, a big garden, do the wash and shower more often...I am the QUEEN of the mountain and my kingdom is heaven to me!

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

congratulations sisterpine

...if you don't have water, you got nothing....at least in my book....

Now that you've got it, you know you can move ahead with your plans...

3. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

That's great sisterpine! I bet it was a great first shower :sing:

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Great! I expect the seep will improve with pumping. Just a caution, avoid running the pump dry. Rig a switch and relay to cut the pump off with a pressure drop. With some minor expense for a timer and some electrical rigging once you get a cistern you can configure to pump intermittently keeping the head low and possibly increase the output. Regardless, you got water now, that is what is important.

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Break wind....I mean make way for the queen!!! :bow:

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Oh that is great! :clap: Nothing like having water!!

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

WOW!!!!!!! :dance: I am so EXCITED for you!!! :dance: WATER!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Congratulations Sisterpine!!!!!!!!!!!!! WONDERFUL news.

I agree on the cistern.

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that you could increase your yield by using some type of 'coyote' control on the pump. This control is set to the HP of the pump and will shut the pump off when the water is pumped down to the pump and the pump begins to draw more amperage....this protects the pump This device also has a timer on it which you set to pump at a certain interval depending on your recharge rate. I am absolutely sure you can get a whole lot more water out of this well if you set this up. A Coyote type control runs about $150-200 total and mounts right next to your pump controls. I would not be surprised if you could increase the yield by 5 times or more each day by pumping with this system.

You can get an estimate of what the well is producing by pumping the well dry...wait one hour pump again...repeat two or three times to estimate your recharge rate.....whoo hoo water!!!

I am happy for you!!!

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Hail Oh, Queen of the Mountain!

Couldn't happen to a better person.

:happy: :clap: :happy: