1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article is awesome- or at least IMHO-
I love this
http://www.granny-miller.com/survivalist-prepper-or-housewife/

So the next time you see a picture of my pantry, or read how I spin yarn or plant onions – remember I’m doing what every traditional household economy has always done and it is not exceptional. Fact is a household that doesn’t provide for its own needs is the historical exception.
I work for myself and provide for my own household. I literally make a living by the sweat of my brow and by my own labor. You can do it too.
I’m not a survivalist or a prepper.
I’m a traditional housewife.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TN Hermit posted this on FB- So I can not take credit for finding it- but I think the article is amazing! it made so much sense when reading it-
I thought everyone thinks I am some Zombie Apocalypse freak- I AM NOT! I am learning skills that I think are important- that are a lost art- that will keep me alive
simple at first- Hot water bathing salsa- then pressure canning chicken!
Hemming pants- then quilting and crocheting!

I am doing the norm of 100 yrs ago-

stock from a turkey-
fermented pickles on the counter
celery in the garden

wearing an apron at 8 pm with a headlamp on to hang laundry cause I know it won't rain the following day...

this is me

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Becka - I've had to explain to many that survival is pretty much just being able to live as our grandparents or great grandparents did. Serves us well when a tornado knocks out power for 6 days. Or a flood makes the roads impassible, or an ice storm closes the outskirts of a town down for maybe two weeks.

The hard core tv style survival will be okay, if we are practiced for the above.

And besides that. In most cases it helps us have to spend less for all the convenience stuff.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Life is good-
I have stock cooking down-
a son with a sleep over
and laundry on the line-
not much more I could ask for!

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Yup, I saw a comerical this morning,kid takes his Mom to school. The mom is a teacher, dential hygentist ect.. I kept wating for the Mom,that is "just" a Mom, a housewife.
My Dh has to explain all the time what I do when asked he says I work at home. Then he takes home raised cooked lunch , which everyone wants to help him eat. Winter comes,they all buy my handspun lined hats I knit or the shawls I weave for the ladies "up frount" in the offices. Many people get my goods for Christmas gifts thur my hands. The people at his work even share canning recipes with me. And partys, someone always talks with me about fresh eggs or some kind of survival issue. My neighbors ask about a certian weed, and one is selling all his livestock but his favorite sheep is getting gifted to me,he just can't sell her. Yup, this is the life.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I've been reading Granny Miller for years, almost since I first got on the internet, love her! She has had a lot of great articles over the years and lots of great links to other articles and blogs as well. She also has great recipes! :) A few years back, she had a bad spell with a sick family member and during the confusion did something wrong and lost her entire blog! It was heartbreaking for a lot of us. She gave up for a while, but thankfully she came back!

I would have loved to be able to stay home and be a housewife and mom, but my husband wouldn't hear of it. What a surprise, he only married me for a meal ticket. I had to go back to work when my son was only four weeks old (even before the doctor would release me, almost died in childbirth), and I ended up supporting all three of us the last three years of our marriage! But that's a whole 'nother story. Even though I did everything I could to spend quality time with my son and make sure he got plenty of love, I feel like we missed out on a lot, and he thinks so too, although he understands why I had to work so much. His plan has always been for his wife to stay home, and I fully support him in that.

I've always been very independent and very much for womens' rights, but I never understood all the "libbers" putting down women who choose to stay at home, taking care of their families and homesteads. Wasn't the whole movement about giving women equality and giving them the right to CHOOSE how they wanted to live their lives?? Then just because they didn't choose to become members of the high-pressure business rat race, they suddenly were "less than". It all went wrong somewhere, and instead of giving us equality and freedom it just seemed to pit women against men and against each other. Now the men have been generally emasculated, and the women are either power hungry back stabbers or hoochie mamas, lol, with "more important" things to do than mundane housewifery. Of course, there are exceptions (as this board so thankfully represents!). But overall, I now think the womens' movement was one of the worst things to happen to society, and I'm sorry I was ever in support of it. Sorry if that's too "political" for this forum and I'm not trying to stir anything up, just my own viewpoint.

I agree with what Angie said, it's not so much about hard-core "prepping" but more about living like our ancestors did and being prepared for the everyday events in life that can set you back if you don't plan ahead. It's about using your time and energy to the best advantage to make sure you and your family are well taken care of and can get through the minor and sometimes major upheavals that can happen to all of us due to weather, illness, loss of job, whatever. It's just plain good sense...and love, lots of love. :) How could that ever be "less than"??

·
Registered
335 Posts
You ladies are very lucky to be living in the US or Canada. Homesteading is so ingrained in your culture, and home schooling seems pretty common. To be a housewife there is a proud role to fulfil.
Living in the UK and saying you are a housewife means you get looked at like you have two heads. People think either you have no ambition, or you failed at school and can't get a job. It makes me mad!

·
Registered
536 Posts
You ladies are very lucky to be living in the US or Canada. Homesteading is so ingrained in your culture, and home schooling seems pretty common. To be a housewife there is a proud role to fulfil.
Living in the UK and saying you are a housewife means you get looked at like you have two heads. People think either you have no ambition, or you failed at school and can't get a job. It makes me mad!
LOL, My own mother says I am wasting my college degree! I don't care what she says. It's my life!

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Callie- I agree- I think it was the worst thing to ever happen- the working outside the home thing-
had I found this site 10 yrs ago- I would never have gotten caught up in the I need need need shiny new furniture/jewelry/purses/clothes-:ashamed:~ most of which (minus the furniture)have been sold on ebay/craigslist and to second hand resale stores over the last 7 years!
I would have already be staying home- instead of trying to live below our means and busting my hump to work and pay off debts and homestead at the same time....

ahhhh- oh well- 'suppose the way I am now is cause of the road and walk I have been on thru my life- so when it comes right down to it- I am where I am supposed to be!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
So very sorry. Hang in there. You are doing the right thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts