I am feeling very overwhelmed and insecure

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can really do this. It seems like my whole life is beginning to revolve around the barn. All these creatures whose lives depend on me. And now that some of them are sick, I am really struggling with my lack of knowledge.
    I have to be away this weekend. My 16 yo son, who is very mature and capable, will be caring for the goats. So he has been giving them their shots. Tonight, he gave the baby goat a little shot of Banamine, and I think he jabbed a little too hard and deep. It was in the neck muscle in the right spot. But the goat stood their with her head twisted and it obviously hurt her. She made some weird sounds, too. We kind of freaked, thinking something really bad had happened. Our adrenalin shot up.
    I picked her up, and then my son suddenly stated with great assurance---"She's going to be alright." He said, "Mom, God just told me she is going to be alright. He took away her pain and she will be alright." And she was! I put her down and she was fine.
    But now he is scared to give her any more shots. I told him just be sure to put the needle in only halfway, and she will be fine.
    Can she get the penicillin just once a day and be okay?
    Our friends are going to come the two nights that we will be away and help him give the shots. In fact, can the goats miss just one morning dose? Because I think they can come Sunday morning as well...I will be here Friday morning, but not Friday night, Saturday morning or night, or Sunday morning. That is just four times to give shots, or 2 days of only once a day shots...
    Any input?

2. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

Just want to step in and give you a *Hug* and let you know that you're not alone in feeling the weight of responsibility.

Things have moved much quicker than I had anticipated thanks to my Dad coming to visit and populating the farm super quick. I'm spending Every free moment devouring information to help me care for these creatures.

The big thing...it's a Learning process and we Are going to make some mistakes. Your 16 yr. old sounds a lot like my 16 yr. old Michael :) We may make mistakes, we may have some losses along the way but if our hearts are there for our animals they will do well over all and we will gain the experience we need.

Blessings,
    Tam

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

What size needle are you using? I have horses as well and readily have the 1 1/2 - 2" needles. After using them a couple times on the goats and really feeling uneasy about going too deep and worrying about only going half way, I went out and bought some 1/2" needles. Works great, can't go too deep if you tried!!! Takes away alot of the worry and makes it quicker not having to worry about judging distance with the longer needles. If you feel at ease giving the injections, the goats feel better too and are calmer and easier to handle.

4. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I think that everyone at sometime in life feels overwhelmed with all of the responsibility their animals demand from them. I'm only 16 (17 in less then two weeks) and I have owned animals since I was little. Once I reached my teenage years the numbers of my animals grew. I now own over 20 animals and I spend several hours each day just doing chores such as feeding or watering. I currently don't have a job but I did last year around this time and I was so overwhelmed with all of the responsibilty of owning animals and working that I sometimes just felt like crying. I was working 38 hours a week, five to six days out of the week. I would come home and have to go right back to work caring for my animals. I was 16 years old and nearly working full time!!! On top of my work I had my animals to care for. I am never going to do that again.

But I love my animals very much and I don't mind the work so much because of all of the joy that they give me. I'm sure that you feel the same way.

As for your son, he sounds like he will do just fine with the animals. Especially with the neighbors help.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We use what looks to be about 1 inch 20 gauge needles...I haven't seen 1/2 inch needles. I will try to get some tomorrow! Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Rachel, I am up right now at 2:30 AM finishing up my business work. I homeschool , run 2 businesses, and right now I can't use my washer due to a flooding problem we are having! My kids have lots of lessons and activities and right now my house is a mess! After this weekend things should lighten up, except for, GASP, Christmas...

Thanks for the HUG---keeping sending hugs and prayers my way, they REALLY DO HELP SO MUCH!

6. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

There is a tiny trick to giving "sub-q" shots (shots under the skin):

Using your left hand, pinch up a fold of loose skin between your THUMB and MIDDLE fingers, then PUSH on the front of the "tent" with your INDEX finger, you will create a place for the needle to slide in. (try it on your shirtsleeve). To make sure I'm under the skin, and not into the muscle, I wiggle the needle JUST A TINY bit; it should feel loose, not like you've poked into something.

Hope this helps!

7. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Banimine-- stings like a bugger.. Even a vet would get that reaction..
    I have been were you are at. Now we have had goats for 10 years. I still hate giving shots.. but it does get easier.
    Goats are sweet they will love you no matter what.
    Liz

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I had this one goat (our 2nd addition)who was all grown up and the biggest babie, this was back in my very first yr of goating, I had the vet out to give them all ivomec shots, (now I give that orally, and have been giving shots for years) but since the kids were all in 4-h he charged like $4 a stop. I digress. We were on the last of five when the big babie who had her shot 1st, starting screaming and fell over screaming and layed there with a look on her face, then got up whining! She was fine, and we couldn't help Laughing at her. She also always threw herself when we trimmed her hoofs and bleated like she was dying, however if you sprinkled grain on the milkstand where she was lying dying she could lick a little between her death screams! She was 1/2 Nubian. After the stress of that drama Queen, handling the normal goats has been a piece of cake!

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have to disagree with the 1/2 inch needle advice. you have to get the medicine into the muscle, not just under the skin. a 1 inch needle is the minimum for this.

so sorry you are overwhelmed, but it sounds like you have good support! little by little you'll find shortcuts that make things easier. you could consider trimming your herd size so it is not such a burden. best of luck which ever way you go.

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

The only time that I ever feel overwhelmed with the goats is when it is time to trim their hooves, I just trimmed a bacth yesterday, mostly babies, and you should see my legs now, they are all bruised and scraped, I have to trim them on my lap to restrain them and their hooves kept scraping me. The only thing is is that I still have 76 more hooves to trim, 19X4, I just now realized that we have 26 goats! By the way, I will be praying for you Jillis, BIG cyber hugs. Bye.

11. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

A lot of shots can be given sub-Q. Call your vet and ask him about this. I really dislike giving IM (intra muscular) shots, because it is hard to find a place fleshy enough where I don't have to be worried about hitting a bone or soem other crucial structure, and this is especially true with small kids. 9 times out of 10, the shot can be given sub Q...there are only a very few that HAVE to be given in the muscle for goats.

12. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Most if not all shots should be given to goats SQ.. And I love the super shot 1/2 inch pig needles.. Best ever.. Only shot I give IM is Lytolace.

TeacupLiz

13. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I'm just jumping in here, not sure what has been happening but they have a longer lasting penicillen out, like LA2000 or Bio-Mycin(this one stings less). It is given every three days. Maybe you could get that from your vet.

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I use Bio Mycin over La - no sting. Also I'm confused over what type of shot the poster's son is giving - IM or SQ? I would always go SQ over IM unless the latter is required, as Liz said with something like Lutalyze which must be given IM. Sounds to me like Jillis' shot site description is IM. I've never given Banamine so I'm assuming this can be given SQ? If you're not confident giving shots, I wouldn't be doing the IM. Sounds like the son may have hit a nerve. You have to be careful with that. If SQ, go with the smallest needle possible for the job. I like the 1/2 and 20 gauge or more if available. Also, always pull back on the plunger before injecting to make sure you're not hitting a vein. Liz, what gauge is that pig needle - over 20?

15. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Great advice, Rose---we already took a mini-break...the kids all do a lot of chores, very well and mostly willingly---sometimes everything just crushes up on me. The thing that I don't like that causes me the most anxiety is not knowing if I am doing the right thing or not. I want to do what is best for these funny, adorable animals and if they were human kids I would know for sure but I am still such a newbie at this! So far my instincts (and some divine guidance!) have been pretty good...I'm mostly stressed too because my dd is competing this weekend in an out-of-state dance competition, and I have to be away. DH was going to go but snow is forecast for the next three days and he must stay and plow! So at least he may be here, but that leaves me with a four hour drive, yikes! We have friends who are very experienced farmers who will be coming twice daily to do the goats' shots and check on their progress, this makes me feel much better!
    Blessings, Jillis!

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yep, my farmer friends told me a probably hit a nerve---and that with repeated injections in the same general area that the muscles and nerves get inflames and sensitive too.
    The injections are all IM. And with the 1 inch we felt...things...at the end of the needle in their little necks...we are much happier with the 1/2 inch!
    I'll look into the Bio Mycin too.
    Thanks so much to ALL OF YOU!!!
    Goat Freak---thanks for your prayers. At this rate I will probably be a permanent fixture on your prayer list!!!