I am deeply troubled

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 19, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We are employed by a foreign national immigrant, he is starving animals that are used to preserve an ag tax exempt status at his airport. There was no food for these animals yesterday. Absolutely nothing was present.

Yes, I refereed to a group of foreign nationals as idiots. The truth seems to be a mistake. Or actually a mistake to say such here.

The animals are still hungry, that is the major concern in my mind right now. But not anything else matters at this moment. I will place an apology where ever it is needed but I will not step away from the animals welfare.

We have extended our gas and grocery money to feed his animals, yesterday we got reimbursed, but there is no animal food at the airport still. We were removed of the responsibility of feeding those animals.

How can the animal owner, an oral surgeon, be so removed from the animals welfare? I can't see this one clearly. He is educated, has resources, communicates very well, but yet ignores animal welfare?

Are foreign nationals above American standards? It looks like they (Edit, Or at least this one) thinks so.

2. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

3. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups, I realize that your job is probably on the line here if you turn them in but as you say the animals come first. There must be an animal welfare place there. I would contact them and let the chips fall where they may. Do you want to work for a man like this?

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think if someone else turns them in your job will be on the line anyway. If you have close neighbors they will eventually call the SPCA. It will look better if you do it. This way if you do it the SPCA won't blame you. If a neighbor does it the the officals will question why you didn't do something. Since you have already told him the animals need feed and he took the feeding part out of your hands that means he does not plan on getting them feed.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'd call the state vet and ask for help. I'd lay it on the line, the exact circumstances of the animals' care WITHOUT, however, going into the tax implications of why they are keeping animals in the first place. First of all that makes it look like you've an ax to grind, and second of all.... it isn't really relevant why he's "keeping" animals. What is relevant is how they're being kept.

And if you can document the animals' health and empty feed bowls with photos that might provide some evidence.

But you're in a really awkward position here. If you don't report this it may well boomerang back on you if he finally does get nailed because he'll try to distance himself by saying "my caretaker never told me.." and point at you. Unless you've got some documentation, or you've reported it to some authority and they moved too slowly, you'll twist in the wind.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Mitch, I have noticed something. (People speak too freely in front of me, because with my red hair they never realize that my Fathers skin is rather brown.)

If a person is a bad man, then his color or his nationality is held against him, when nobody would care if the man were respected. In other words, a great woman is liked and respected, but if she is not liked she is (fill in the blank).

I do not think that you would have had ANY complaint against your employer, of ANY sort, if his animals were fed and his bills were paid.

7. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Mitch, I dont think you have a choice. The animals HAVE to have feed. so--you can either buy it, and wait to be reimbursed--or report him, and be prepared to move.
    If he agreed to give the one person money ahead for feed, or pay ahead at the feed store, ask him if he can do the same for you?

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

your mistake was in blaming his RACE for him neglecting his animals. you made it sound like all people of that race neglect their animals when it was actually just this one person.

people that don't take care of animals come in all colors. it was a cheap shot to blame it on the mans national origin. :nono:

9. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

Nuts---

Mitch is describing the guy.

If he said he was a white ex-football player or a jewish diamond merchant it would be a description.

Be politically correct - bull. A white guy commits a burglary you don't describe him as a "person lacking color". Or do you?

And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Anyone doesn't like it--tough!

10. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Would you feel better if the animals were being starved by a white guy?

Call the ASPCA and report him.

11. Melissa

Melissa member

I am worried it is going to come back on you. Do you have any written agreement as to your duties? Are you responsible for the animals in any way? Can you call anonymously? Have you ever gotten through to him yet and actuallly talked with him?

12. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

The man's nationality or is immigrant status has nothing to do with the problem and therefore there was no need to mention it. That is exactly how ideas that all immigrants are cruel to animals, come into being.

And Mitch, you have mentioned that when you and Fla Gal arrived on the scene the animals had backbones showing; you should have mentioned this was not up to your standards of care prior to accepting your position. Sure would have saved you a great deal of angst in the future. He also evidently let you know just why there are animals on the location of his airport.

And now you are not longer responsible for the care of the animals, if you truly need the income for you own well being, I would do what I could to insure the health of the animals, while I also looked for another job. If the situation was not corrected prior to my leaving for a new position I would then report it to the authorities. Flame me if you wish but I don't see how your and Fal Gal going hungry is the answer.
    Hugs
    marlene

13. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Mitch - you are in tight old son...if you report the guy - you better be prepared to move ASAP. If you don't report this, then someone else will and you will still be left hanging and taking the blame.

Ask the guy if he is willing to set up a feed store account that you can "draw from". Most feed stores in my neck of the woods do that for their caretakers or barn managers. As long as you aren't charging anything personal..i.e. say you had a dog and you weren't supposed to buy dogfood on the account, there shouldn't be problem. If he says yes, tell him "let's go today and get that done so I can feed the animals". If he says no, explain that it is expected that animals are to be fed and if they are not, he can be in the media within 24 hours if someone reports it. It's true, there have been several cases in Florida lately with people being charged for not feeding/caring for animals. Perhaps appeal to his "business mind" that this would look really horrible to be associated with the term "animal neglect" and is frowned upon by everyone in the business community.

Perhaps this is a cultural thing, perhaps not - I know in some foreign countries, Americans seem to spoil their animals by actually buying feed instead of allowing said animal to forage. I think it is seen as making pets out of livestock. So to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, you might explain this idea a bit and the consequences that befall someone so charged - name on the net, every animal lover in the State coming out against him, business relationships damaged, etc.

Another idea is to put this in writing and send it via certified mail to the owner saying that you are "protecting your assets (lol) because the animals have no feed and someone has suggested that the owner be turned in for lack of feed. Explain in the certified letter that you in no way wish to be held responsible and do not mind going to get feed, etc. but you cannot afford to wait to be reimbursed. Be NICE but firm in the letter and let the owner know that others are aware (we on the board are "others" right? so you aren't lying) that his animals are lacking basic feed, hay, whatever.

In any event, you will have a papertrail and perhaps by making this official through a certified letter, you will be taken more seriously. In any event, be looking for a new employment situation as this one appears to be way out of kilter. Another thing that people who are hollering call the SPCA or Humane Society don't understand about this area - most of the time if the animals aren't starved to death literally, other than a site visit and an admonishment by the officials to the owner to "feed the horses, etc." nothing happens until the animals are so far gone it's ridiculous. Just depends on the area and how overcrowded the facilities are and with the outbreak of EHV-1 down in Florida, the officials have a bit more on their plate than usual.

So calling the authorities may only get you evicted right quick so be prepared to move on a moment's notice - if you are fired they have the right to evict you and hire someone else or no one else.

Tough nut you got there, but not unsolveable, just be creative and don't lay blame as a cultural thing (makes you sound racist or whatever the PC term is these days and I don't believe you are). After all one of the best cross country eventing riders and trainers is an Indian from India and he would never not feed his horses just because he's from India..might not eat a cow..but sure would feed one. Get's folk's backs up when they think you are being culturally biased.

Good luck and I know you meant well but perhaps it just did not come out the way you intended. I also get upset when I see people who have animals (whether or not they have lots of money is beside the point) who will not feed them.

14. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Pack up to move. He will fire you and evict you without prior notice. If he is non-christain, the holidays will not impact his timing. Alot of imigrants that are educated seem to feel above the law. Values of animal treatment are lifelong. If animals are neglected in his country of origin, he MAY have a similar lack of their concerns/needs. Our animals are often better fed and looked after than other's children.
    He does need to be made aware of animal's needs in THIS country. I think you should seed a certified letter to him, documenting the needs and the current conditions. Give him 10 days to comply before reporting him. Explain to him that you intend to do your best at this job and cannot allow certain conditions to continue.

15. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for helping to prove my point about errors being made about entire nations of people based on one simple bit of knowledge :( geezes...I bet you also have answers to how to have world peace too :(

Marlene

16. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Wow, sorry about this Mitch - especially during this time of year. The only thing I would add, if someone hasn't already mentioned it is this:

Document,document,document! Plus take pictures. You may need them, you may not.

17. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I don't think we know enough of the situation here to really understand.

Have you made it clear to the owners that you believe the animals are being starved?

Have you documented this? My concern is that the owners are hearing different stories and don't really have a true understanding of the situation.
    I know that when I am upset, I do not always communicate my thoughts rationally or completely.

You have to cover your bases and make sure that they understand your point of view. You should also make sure that they know that you will have to go to outside authorities if you fear for the animals.

It will never be fair to them if you do not give them the chance to fix the situation first.

A good honest conversation usually solves the problem, if it does not then you have to act.

18. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The owner and his wife have both been personally informed (by me, verbally) of the situtation of there being no feed present, as have two of the other people in their employ. This is the 'paper trail', thats got our hind sides covered.

We do not have the funds or capability to move or enough resources to consider seeking a new position at this time.

I don't think the owner has any realization of what he will face if I blow the whistle. I will involve the media immediantly it that route is chosen.

19. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

If a $100 will help give me an address or go to your feed store, get me their phone #, and I will credit card $100 worth of feed purchases for you "while you wait".

Check your PM box

PMJones

20. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

In this state there is a hotline you can call for animal abuse. You could even have a friend call. The first thing they will do is verify to determine if the animals need fed & if there really is no feed. Perhaps that would be enough to get him to realise that his animals must be taken care of. Sometimes a visit from an authority is all it takes.