Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About once a year for the last 25 years I have gotten a Hammacher Schlemmer mail order catalog full of high dollar crap even though I have never ordered anything from them. Their mailing list has even followed me through three addresses even though I have never contacted them.

Even though their Park avenue prices are out of my league I still enjoy looking through it and imagining the Manhattan Richie Rich types that may actually buy some of the overpriced to me toys and baubles.

This years magazine shows a battery powered car like 007s submarine Lotus.

While spot reading the description I saw it was battery powered and could drive at 2 mph 30 feet under water and glanced at the price that I first read as $2000.00 and thought "what a price for a pool toy".

Later I read the description more in detail and found this is a water tight bodied battery powered golf cart speed on land sand buggy big enough for two with on board scuba tanks to give two passengers an hour of air and its not $2000.00 but rather $200,000.00 but no shipping charge .

For giggles and grins I think I will stick it in my hip pocket to take to breakfast in the morning and show her what she can get me for Christmas this year and hope she doesn't :lookout:me. :rotfl:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Oh..... Well that's different. Shipping charge included.
Who knows she may just go for it . Good luck !

Reactions: arcticow

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Youyd think that they would realize that 90% of all people wouldn't or couldnt buy their stuff, and that theyre just wasting a mountain of postage and publishing money

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I really hate is there is one item in that high dollar toy catalog that at only about $60 more than what it is from the lower price closeout source I do order from but hasn't in stock I would like to maybe order but if I did, no telling how many catalogs that high dollar outfit would start sending me.

Think I will just wait a few more months to see if the low dollar mail order house I usually order from and only sends me 3 catalogs a year gets it back in stock. Plus the low dollar mail order house gives me free shipping too because I order items for personal use or parts for my projects from them regularly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For $10,000 you can send catalogs to 100 people who can't afford anything in the catalog. It's just a little luxury rich people like to splurge on when they are having a bad day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts