I also have a sick Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by farmer rog, Aug 12, 2006.

1. farmer rog

farmer rog Active Member

Her mother has nothing to do with here. She is 10 days old and can wobbles when she stands. She does not want to drink but a 2 quarts of milk replacer
    each day. My book says 2 quarts twice a day. Here navel is swelled to about
    the size of a lemon and is hard to the touch. I have put iodine on it but it doesn't look any different. Any suggestions???????
    Thanks

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Go to Google and punch in navel ill and read.

3. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    How is she today? Hope she is getting better. Please update us on her status.

4. farmer rog

farmer rog Active Member

I mixed some molasses with her milk replacement and she drink drink about 1 and a half quarts. We'll see how see does this morning. Also we are going to call the vet.
    Thanks

5. farmer rog

farmer rog Active Member

she again only took 1 1/2 quarts of replacer. Called the vet and he said to give her a shot of 5 cc of pen. but I have never gave a shot before. What gauge needle adn how deep do you put it????
    Thanks

6. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

give her a shot of Biomyicin...3 cc.(Available at most feed/ranch stores) about a size 20 gauge needle,1 1/2 inch. right under the armpit under the loose skin. this should last for 72 hours of medication. this is better than Pen. if not better in three days, give her another shot. give the other shot anyway. this stuff works!! sounds like she is taking in enough milk replacer. I would use med. replacer. watch for scours.( highly stinky poop, yellowish) if she gets this, give her two calf sulpher boluses with a bolus gun. (before she dehydrates!)this is a tube that administers the pill. just shove the tube right down her side of the mouth all the way and release the bolus. this is availble at stores also.
    good luck!!

7. farmer rog

farmer rog Active Member

Latest report on my sick calf. I have been giving her 5 cc of pen. everyday like my vet said. She is acting a little better but still not eating but half of the milk replacer. Hope she is getting better.