Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I realize there is a majority of HTs that are freezing various parts of their anatomy right now... but it's mid-January in Fairbanks, Alaska and I can't stand it!!

After a good half month of ohdammitcold... tonight at 10:30 pm it is 40.1 degrees above zero. That's right, ABOVE zero! There is water dripping into the gutters and if the lawn chairs were not under a tarp and 2 feet of snow, I would be sitting on the deck with a gin and tonic. It is such freedom, such a release, to be able to walk outside in my shirtsleeves and leave the bunny boots in the closet. The scent in the air is that of springtime in the mountains... the moon is gone, so are the stars, and it would be certain that a hint of snow is in the air..... but I can walk outside without my nostrils slamming shut in protest or my eyelashes freezing together in mid-blink. I would bet dollars to donuts that my truck would enjoy going for a spin without the thunk, thunk, thunk of square tires....

*sigh*... I'm going out to smell it again.....

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I just went outside and checked the street. It is a hockey rink. -21 last week and 43 tonight. It rained off and on all day too. My dogs love it. Anchorage was a smash up demolition derby this AM and probably will be tomorrow. Our electric and natural gas rates just went up. I hope for a decent spring with few cold snaps.

Get it while you can. It is still January.

Mike

·
Hired Hand
1,670 Posts
Wow, is this normal for you folks? I'm in western NY where the saying goes 'if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change." January thaws are the norm...it was almost 60 a few weeks ago...suppose to be -4 tonight, -20 with the wind chill. Not nearly as cold as were you are but cold enough for most. Suppose it's Mother Nature's way...

·
Registered
574 Posts
:goodjob:

Oh, you guys, enjoy it while you can. We're currently -26C/-15F here in northern Ontario, and so wishing for a January thaw. I would love to smell something other than snow.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
That sounds so wonderful :) Winter is long and dark up there, enjoy your taste of Spring! and then go get more wood for the stove....

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's 8 below, here, and I'm freezing, lol- when I first came to Michigan, I couldn't figure out why these crazy people would be walking outside with t-shirts on in 40 degree weather- now, I have been enlightened....40 degrees is a HEATWAVE compared to this!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Hey, I was born there but that doesn't mean I want to have the cold ehre!!! -9 this morning with -40 windchills. You want it? you can have it back.

·
wendys_goats
398 Posts
Wow it's warmer in Alaska than Wisconsin. It is currently -16 here. Since the cold freezing stuff that we are experiencing came out of Alaska could you send some of the warm stuff too?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I won't mind the real thaw when it comes, but thaw & freeze is NOT good. I still have the bruises. :grump:

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Yep nothing like a 100 degree temp change to get the blood flowing!

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
I woke up to my radio alarm telling me it was -50 with the wind chill this morning.

I hate you Alaskans and your balmy winter weather :grump:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
38.1 above and nothing like 7:30 am snowshoveling to get your blood circulating! It's avalanche time if you have a metal roof.... need to get the stuff shoveled before it sets up like concrete. Quite breezy this morning, too.

It's so sweet to get a few warm days this time of year... even if we have to creep around with care on the melting hardpack. We are supposed to be back to more normal temps by the weekend with highs around 20 above and lows around 10 below. I think I heard a rumour that our chinook winds are headed south soon...

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I've always wanted to see Alaska, figured summer would be the best time, duh, but it appears winter is the time to do it! We had all the local schools closed today with 40-50 below windchills. May I come visit you!? LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts