Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on here know anything about it? 90 percent of the symptoms I have. Testing will back next week...

Registered
Honestly, I don't know much about this dis-ease but if I had to guess you will be recommended surgery and/or drugs.
That is what a friend of mine was told to do - they took her thyroid out. And now she is on drugs for the rest of her life.

Something to consider.
If you can afford it, I would recommend a naturopath. They address symptoms and teach ways to heal the symptoms. Symptoms are messengers saying something is out of balance. There may be a possibility of correcting that balance instead of becoming a life long customer of phar-ma.
I hope that you are not in much discomfort.
Curious, did you get the shot?

SM Entrepreneuraholic
Anybody on here know anything about it? 90 percent of the symptoms I have. Testing will back next week...
Best place I know of for information. The site focuses primarily on hypothyroidism, but you can search for hyperthyroid and find some info. You also can search for Grave's disease.

Grave's disease is pretty rare. Did you possibly mean hypothyroid?

Registered
The majority of cases of hyperthyroidism are caused by auto-antibodies to the gland. They damage the gland and it dumps large amounts of thyroid hormone out into your blood. If left untreated, the gland eventually poops out and you're left with hypo-thyroidism. ...For many people, the hyper- stage is so short, it may go unnoticed and you eventually find your way to the doc for the hypo- symptoms. (There's also a form of auto-antibody that doesn't damage the gland, but just stimulates excess production of hormone.)

There's three ways to treat hyperT-- surgery, thyroid damaging drugs, or RadioActive Iodine (RAI)...Surgery is recommended when a disfiguring goiter has developed or when a surgeon has a large mortgage payment due. The drugs are a PITA and require frequent follow-up because there's no formula for figuring out the right dose...

RAI is easy and elegant-- the thyroid is the only place in the body where Iodine is accumulated, and the wave length of the radiation is so short that it doesn't leave the gland--so there's no peripheral damage. The dose is very accurately calculated after a thyroid scan...Some docs like to hit it on the head perfectly, but theoretically, that could allow the gland to once again act up under the influence of those causative antibodies. I always preferred to over- treat and then add in thyroid replacement pills (cheap & easy) to keep the gland suppressed. The treatment itself is to just snort down one shot glass full of RAI in water.

Premium Member
My daughter has Graves, and the ocular version. Other than a brief almost thyroid storm, my daughter has done well by using a naturopath, and beta blockers and her thyroid is still intact. I don't know much about her whole thing, but do know she was diagnosed many years ago by two different endos at different times, and she didn't approve of the "standard" treatment, so took a different route. Seems to work for her, physically, but she can drive everyone else nuts.

Mon

Reactions: TripleD

Registered
My daughter has Graves, and the ocular version. Other than a brief almost thyroid storm, my daughter has done well by using a naturopath, and beta blockers and her thyroid is still intact. I don't know much about her whole thing, but do know she was diagnosed many years ago by two different endos at different times, and she didn't approve of the "standard" treatment, so took a different route. Seems to work for her, physically, but she can drive everyone else nuts.

Mon
Taking beta blockers for hyperT is like taking aspirin to hide a fever when you have pneumonia--

Those who develop bulging eyes require prednisone to prevent further deformity. I hope your daughter, you and your naturopath like the frog-eye look...That's child abuse.

As I said, the natural course of untreated Grave's is to develop hypo-T. The beta blockers will make that worse too. Maybe she can sing baritone in the all-girls' choir.

Premium Member
She's in her 50's, and an adult, does what she chooses, I don't know if she took pred. I don't know if she's still on beta blockers, again, she's an adult and I'm not going to put her on the rack until I can think of the correct questions to ask her. Her choices, win, lose, or draw.

What I know is, her eyes used to bulge and neck thick, and now that's not happening for well over 20 years, and her pulse rate is no longer 125 when resting. She finally got a "real" doctor to listen to her, and she tests, watches her diet, exercises, raised 7 kids, and a few other kids who were cast-offs from their parents.

So, whatever she did worked for her, not anyone else, just her.

Mon

Reactions: robin416
1 - 7 of 7 Posts