Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have tried both ways of growing plants such as lettuce indoors in the winter which way gave you the best results? In my new Garden's ALive catalog there is a hydro. kit that I'm thinkin' I could 'copy' by using a small aquarium pump, large plastic planter to hold the water and pots, plexiglass that I can cut out holes for the pots, and finding some clay balls to go into the pots somewhere.....I'm thinkin' it wouldn't cost the $59.95 (actually $39.95 with the coupon) that Garden's ALive is asking. And I have a stand with a light that I can use over which ever medium I decide to try.
BUT!!! Which way will give me the healthiest, most pest free, vigorous plants in a reasonable amount of time? I have a worm compost that I can add to regular potting soil to 'boost' the nutrients , would either of the ways need a small fan on to keep air circulating? So, the hydro way I would have a light and a pump plugged in using electricity and the soil way I would have the light ...and maybe a small fan???? but....which way, IYO, is 'the way to go"??? :shrug: Thanks! Oh, any thoughts on putting together a 'do-it-yourself" hydro. kit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm thinking about doing hydro with 10 percent urine- I've know people who swear by it- and yes, they make their own, i think those kits are for people who are not handy.

And you can have plenty of nutrients in the water. Soil is not better in that respect. The only reason why i would use soil would be because there is less risk (only because ive never done hydro) and less set-up, stuff to buy and make.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts