Hydrogen generator

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Blu3duk, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Was talking with a new co-worker today, and he is running a genset using water, and splitting it into Hydrogen and oxygen.

He is using pop/beer cans in a 5 gallon bucket, adding water and red devil lye..... and plumbing it directly into the one lung carburator...... it starts and runs on good ole unleaded, but he says it has been running 8 hours on 2.5 gallons of fuel.... for a 4000 watt genset it aint to bad.

he uses a water seal to prevent flashback [better to blow a jar of water than a bucket of lye] figgers if he used a 30+ gallon plastic drum he could produce more volume and fire directly off of hydrogen itself.

Anyway just some tinkering info on my next project..... it is kinda spendy though around these parts a can of lye is pushin $4.50.

Maybe baking soda and stainless steel would be a better idea. Anyone done that?

William

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

William try the chemical supply houses for lye in bulk. There are two types Sodium Hydroxide (crystal) and potasium hydroxide, (flake) not sure if it matters. They can both be had fairly inexpensively, (my wife used to make a lot of soap) Seems to me we bought 88 pounds of Potasium Hydroxide for under a dollar a pound in Canadian money so that's (roughly) 70 cents USD or less. I could be wrong but it's worth a try if this project looks workable to you. Most drain cleaners are lye based too.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

BTW what load was the genset powering out of that 4000 watts? Doesn't take alot to just run with nothing plugged in. I've never heard of splitting water with lye and aluminum cans, any references for how that works?

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Thanks Ross, I have not checked anything out completely, and i have not sen this setup first hand, however, this is not anything that hasnt been done by someone else somewhere before either.....

the whole setup is simple in priciple and rings of the "KISS" standard.

I am gonna drop by this fellas place [bus converted to Motorhome] and check it out in the next few days.... and of course my digital will probably tag along to document the homebuilt setup. What is really neat though, its so simple to build and all the parts are available just about anywhere you find trash..... Ok so now i know why there is a market for Aluminimum cans.... to keep people from becoming more self suficient...... hehehe

a buck a pound is still a whle lot cheaper than buying small cans of lye. Now if bulk lye isnt on the DEA list of no-nos we just might get cracking..... and maybe that old engine block out in the barn will make fuel too.......

Willliam

5. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

William,
    Just wondering if you have looked this set-up over yet and could let us know what you found.
    Bret