Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a shop-made 3-point hitch log splitter for a neighbor. He went to a local auto parts store and had four new hoses made for about $5 foot. Another neighbor stopped by and noted Tractor Supply has the same type (quality?) of hoses in standard lengths for about $1 a foot, including end couplings.

Hoses are probably Asian import, but at some point cost overcomes Buy-USA loyalty.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
The point is that he made a special hose that was not the Regular length. The regular length ones are probily the same but they can be made without any labor except the facory woker.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I had a couple hoses made last fall that only cost about $1.25 a foot cause they were not a standard length in stock, but then again there are many different users of hydraulics in this area, farmers, loggers, excavators, and host of folks who have assorted machines so they stay pretty busy at the parts house.

I think they seen him coming and took advantage of the non-contractor/farmer.... bu i could be wrong.

William

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hi all, I run a mobile hydraulic repair service and sell hyd. hoses from my van and will custom make them on-site. I am not trying to sell you anything, but I can tell you what is a fair price for a hose assembly. There are several different sizes and strengths of hose as well as all the different hose ends (couplings) available. A large range of prices. Some shops will charge the customer a assembly fee for attaching the hose ends on the hose??? If you know what size, type of hose and what hose ends you have I will tell you a fair price. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
"custom" hoses are expensive compared to factory made units, but the quality of most custom hoses are usly better in my opinion, the ends are heaver, and the hose quality that is some what up to the dealer, but price out what the ends cost, many are at least $5 a piece, so the shorter the hose the more it will cost per foot, what you buy is the ends and then the hose length, and some times a labor fee. depending on the dealer, so some times the labor is figured into the "ends" price.
Also price what the machine cost to swag the ends that the dealer has to own and the dies that go with it. Even do a EBay search for used machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts