Hydraulic hose crimper questions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Jul 24, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Anybody know where I can get a 'handy dandy homeowners type hose crimper'? I have a tractor that needs new hoses but the cost of makeing them locally is much too high, I would rather invest in purchasing my own machinery to make hoses. Of course others will need hoses in the future so I can see where this can make money.

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My local auto parts store makes my hoses. He charges me for the fittings and hose and that's all. I would look around for auctions for a used one.

3. The crimper machines are not cheap. Just as expenside, or more so, is carrying all the different fittings you need for 'whenever' the need arrises.

You will have liability concerns if you make hose for others. When 2500 lbs of force blows loose, it can really make a bang..... Think long & hard....

Gemplers & McMaster should have some for you. There also are clamp on hose ends that are supposed to take the 2500 lb pressures, but I don't know. Check into them tho be4 a whole $$$ hyd clamping setup. Those same places, as well as Valu-Bilt has the clamp on style. All have web pages.

The local ag stores generally carry a good selection of sizes of hose, every 2', for just over a buck a foot, hard to beat that, open until 9:00pm.

Different shops charge different prices, shop around, I live in a town of 15,000 and can go to 6-7 auto or parts stores, 2 farm machinery dealers, 2 machinests, and the tractor repair mechanic a couple miles from me to have hose fabricated. Prices are all over the board.

--->Paul

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I wonder if anyone still sells the screw on ferrals and threaded fittings. The ferral srewed onto the hose and finnally in to the fitting. You could make a repair in about half an hour with only a couple of wrenches. I had a few and they are still holding years later.