Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh got me my very first chickens today! :nanner: I'm so excited!! They're Silkie chickens and they're just so fuzzy. :happy2: These are my first ever livestock of any kind. I had no idea I could be this geeked about chickens, but I am. :bouncy: With these adorable little gals my adventure in homesteading has officially begun! :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yay for being in the club!! :) Thanks guys.
I can't wait for my first eggs. The lady that sold them to us gave us one of the eggs they laid today and it's so little compared to the store bought ones I'm used to. She also has a rooster, she's trying to decide if she's going to keep him or not and will let us know tomorrow if we can have him. *fingers crossed*

Reactions: handymama

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,851 Posts
For some reason I always thought silkies were more of a pet or show chicken type of bird, rather than a homesteading type of bird that would provide food. What will you use them for?

I remember reading about one guy, I think here on HT, has a successful market for them in the Asian food market.

They certainly are attractive in a way. Congrats on your first chickens, Enjoy!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using my girls for eggs. :) I found them through CL, for only $2 each. I did some research on the breed (had already done a bunch on chickens in general) and found out how sweet and docile they are. I decided they'd be perfect for me as first chickens. The only previous experience I've had with chickens was my MIL's who were huge and mean. :( I hated and feared them. Dh loves chickens and agreed these would be great first birds for me.
These gals are so sweet and cute! They have such a cool sound too. They even gave me my very first egg today!!! :bouncy: I'm in love! <3

Attachments

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,851 Posts
I'm using my girls for eggs. :) I found them through CL, for only $2 each. I did some research on the breed (had already done a bunch on chickens in general) and found out how sweet and docile they are. I decided they'd be perfect for me as first chickens. The only previous experience I've had with chickens was my MIL's who were huge and mean. :( I hated and feared them. Dh loves chickens and agreed these would be great first birds for me.
These gals are so sweet and cute! They have such a cool sound too. They even gave me my very first egg today!!! :bouncy: I'm in love! <3
So, Starter Chickens! :thumb:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6 Posts
Til the neighborhood dogs got to them. :Bawling:

IMHO, they aren't the most prolific egg layers.

I will stick with Buff Orpingtons. Very docile and good egg layers. :chicken:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They will really enjoy pecking out the rind of a watermelon or cantaloupe. Also a little warm oatmeal on a cold morning is most welcome.
I'll have to try that, thank you. :)

Reactions: light rain

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Til the neighborhood dogs got to them. :Bawling:

IMHO, they aren't the most prolific egg layers.

I will stick with Buff Orpingtons. Very docile and good egg layers. :chicken:
Aww, poor babies! :( I'm so sorry you lost your silkies.
I'm pretty happy with their egg output so far, I'm getting about 3 eggs a day from them. :) I'm thinking of getting Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds as my next birds, but for now tiny friendly chickens are best for me.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Starter chickens is right. Better tell your husband to start building cages now, so he will not get so far behind. I find chickens to be some what addicting. Once you have some success with a few it only seems logical to get a few more, after all 200 is not really that many more than 4 right!! Used my chicken math to make that calculation. You start ordering them and see that the more you get the cheaper the shipping and once you get so many the shipping is free, so it only makes sense to get the 200 rather than the 20 you intended. Just common sense chicken math, but some people just do not seem to understand???
Have fun, enjoy and welcome to the poultry forum

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Actually, great granny used to order 200 chickens every single spring. Seriously. They had an enormous farm and five mouths to feed. They actually ate all 200 in the course of a year, dad says.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! That's a lot of chickens! :)

Reactions: light rain

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yea, the henhouse was enormous. Every morning before school dad had to go open up the coop and throw out some feed. They free ranged all day and came in at night. Granny would get the eggs after breakfast.
Dad also talks about how scary the turkeys grandpa had were. When he would go deer hunting at night he said they'd swoop down out of the trees and run off, scaring the crap outta him lol. Apparently gramps would buy a few turkeys every spring as needed and turn them loose in the woods.
We still have a ton of turkeys here. I see them every morning lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts