Hutch smells like pee.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Goat Freak, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

How do I make him smell better, I don't think he would like it very much if I gave him a bath. Could I wipe him down, I just don't think that would get rid of the smell, it's pretty bad. Tommorow I'm going to put his nest in the wash but I need to figure out how to get him to smell better too, would it be o.k. if I DID give him a guick bath with shampoo? I don't know much about rabbits, he's my first. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

If he is a wooled breed, don't bath him. :) I can't comment on normal furred buns.

Lisa Rodenfels
    www.somerhillfarm.com

3. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I have had experience with this as having only white rex rabbits for awhile, in cages with solid floors they would often smell a bit but my biggest issue was the colouring of the fur.

Back on topic- to make him smell better, give him an area where he is on fresh pine shavings. Nothing smells better than a cage, a pen, anywhere with freshly laid pine shavings!! Let him have a cage full of pine shavings for awhile.

The biggest thing, if he smells like pee, make sure you clean out his cage more often than before, he might be sitting where he pees all the time.

Melissa

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think bathing him is a good idea. Poor little guy has been through enough and bathing can be very stressful to rabbits. Also, he could get chilled.

If he smells, it is because his fur is getting urine on it. I can't remember what you are using for a "nest" but if it is cloth it will certainly absorb the urine smell and then it will also be on his fur.

I agree with Melissa's suggestion about the pine shavings. When I remove the nest box from a cage of youngsters, I usually put in a plastic dishpan of pine shavings. The bunnies enjoy leaping in and out and they curl up to sleep there. In many cases, they also use it as a litter box. This makes clean-out easy, but you do have to keep it fresh.

If you give him the pan of shavings when you take the dirty nest out, chances are he will be happy to use it instead. Thn you can get rid of the nest altogether. It sounds as though it has become unsanitary.

5. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

What is your cage set up like? Solid floor, or wire? The Nesting area?

If you were to leave a pan of shavings in one corner, he would use that as a litter box, if you put the nesting area full of straw/hay he will use the straw to sleep in and the shavings as the bathroom, it should keep your nesting area clean from urine and smell.

Melissa

6. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Well - I have had angoras in the past that obtained a rare mite from my sister's donated cat - they had to be bathed twice a day with a miticide shampoo..... They do not die but I can tell you they do not like it. I have also washed the rear of several of our male rabbits and one very nasty Dutch female. They like to "mark" their cage and then it gets on their rearends - yep they stink. I would suggest that IF you have a male and you do NOT plan on breeding him - have him fixed.... this helps this problem. If you give your guy a bath - don't drown him, just wash the really dirty part. Then make sure he is dry if you put him back outside - but you are in FL so it should not be really cold there. I'm in TN and the temps get pretty cold - I have some that live outside and they get wet (not soaked) when it is raining outside - they can be washed.

7. Goat Freak

He's an eastern cottontail, so he has normal fur.

His cage will be cleaned out today, was planning on it anyway, and his nest will be put in the washer. My dad owns his own tree service, so pine chips won't be a problem.

Got it, he doesn't seem to sleep in his nest anyway, do you think it'd be ok if I just put a cloth in there for him to sleep with for right now, it might take a day or so for my dad to get the pine chips?

8. Goat Freak

Until we get time to go to the store his cage is an old laundry basket that has been sewed shut, with absorbant pads on the bottom. His nest is an old pillowcase with a zipper on it, with an electric blanket in it. I don't think that would work though, I've had to change his hay bowl about once every day or two because he pees in there, yuck.

He WILL be fixed if he's a male, don't want him stinking, or becoming unfriendly, or anything that males might become left intact. Course I don't really know right now, just needed to name him, so figured I'd give him a boy name.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to get on it right away. Bye.

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I had a sort of emergency situation about a month ago. I was getting a buck ready for a big show and the rabbit in the next cage sprayed him. Obviously, we couldn't have him going to a show like that, so I bathed him in the bathroom sink. (I used...erm...Murphy's Oil Soap because that was the mildest thing we had on hand and I assumed it would be less likely to strip the natural oils from his coat. :blush:)

He stayed inside the rest of the afternoon until his coat dried completely, but he seemed to do just fine.

I don't feel that rabbits normally should be bathed because they are so sensitive to stress, but sometimes you don't have much of a choice. :shrug:

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Rabbits are pretty easy to box train. Just put a box of litter (wood pellet type or corn cob would be good) where he likes to pee. Put a little peed-on bedding in the litter box. He should take it from there.

11. Goat Freak

He's pretty good about only peeing in one spot, when he's in his cage, he pees in what is supposed to be his hay bowl, but he thinks it's his littler box, so I just put a little hay in there and then clean it out once every two days. He doesn't pee in the hay that's outside of the hay bowl though, he just eats it, but if it's in the hay bowl all he does is pee on it. Thanks again guys, I'm going to ask my mom to buy some pine shavings, turns out my dad doesn't cut down too many pines, at least not right now, it's slow this time of year. Well bye guys.

12. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

Depending on how finely ground the shaving are from the pine trees, I wouldn't suggest using those. If it's too fine, he may inhale it. I would definitly go with store bought pine shavings or something else like WoodyPet or Yesterday's News.

You'll need to either make or buy a hay rack for him if he's constantly soiling his hay when it's on the ground. It'll be easier to keep his hay clean if it's up off of the floor.

Personally, I am all for wire bottomed cages..they are the most sanitary to use. BUT! IF you clean out your solid bottomed cage every weekend and clean out the heavily urinated/pooped on spots everyday, you should have a fairly clean rabbit and cage.

Generally, you do not bathe rabbits. Rabbits can stress easily. Unless he's very dirty, i wouldn't advise a bath. When i have a dirty rabbit i usually just trim off the dirty fur (if it's not show season) and spot treat his fur with a towel and warm water.

If you're going to stay with a solid bottomed floor, eventually his litter-box training should get to the point where you don't need to put shavings all over his cage, just in the litter box. You'll need to put down a towel or pad so that he has something comfy to lounge on. He may poop outside the litter box on the towels, but that will be easy to clean up, and you can wash the current dirty towel once a week and put in a clean towel.

If he likes peeing in one certain spot right now (his hay dish) i would listen to him. He's probably telling you that that's how he'd like his home to be set up. With his litter box in that spot in his cage.

Allison

13. Goat Freak

My mom's going to pick up a rabbit waterer, and hopefully a rabbit cage soon, so I'll see if she can get a hay rack too. Thanks for the advice, I just have to get to the store now.

14. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Goat ,, I've been reading all the posts :shrug: how old is Hutch and how did you aquire him ...

I'll tell you a old laundry basket with an electric blanket is not a good idea :grump: the cloth gets damp and smelly quickly and thats why he is smelling ..

a small cardboard box stuffed with hay and you premake a hole/nest set inside his cage is all he needs to keep warm if he is still young .. and you change out the dirty hay as needed .... I prefer straw for nests 'I' think it stays drier than hay ..

you said he is a eastern cottontail ,, most of the time a orphaned rabbit will always have a wild temperment :Bawling: and do not make good pets ,, if Hutch is a rescue you should check for a wildlife rehab place and they will care for him till release age ..

... :) since you have found that you like rabbits .. you could then pick out a nice breed for a pet ,, I've been told that Lops have very mellow personalities and make great pets ..

if you discus with mom ,, she might agree and then you could then get a nice cage , waterer , hay rack and all the equipment you will need and get set up before you pick out a pet ...

If you lived closer I'd give you a very friendly Harliquin doe I have :)

... how is Hutch doing now ??

15. Goat Freak

Hutch is doing real good, he's friendly too, will that change when he gets older? He gets handled several times each day, and he seems to like being held, he jumped out of his cage to get to me, which was real cute. my mom's going to go pick up his stuff right now. GBYE.

O Yeah, we got him out of my dogs mouth, in the woods that is our middle pasture, we got him before his eyes opened, they opened the next day, so he is now about a month old, and we've had him for two weeks.

16. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I really don't know if he will change personalities or not ,, some rabbits are friendly and some have attitudes ,,

as he gets older towards breeding age you might see a difference then ,,

good luck , I'm glad he's so friendly towards you .

:)

17. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I bathe my bunnies. Use warm water and baby shampoo. You might want to clip nails before the bath, as some will scratch. My bunnies know what is in store, nails cliped, bath, towel drying, held and petted until totally dry, brushed and then a treat for being good. I hate yellow feet. They get stained even in wire bottom cages. Just be careful that the rabbit does not get chilled.

18. Goat Freak

Good news, I re-cleaned and re-organized his cage, and he no longer smells. Thanks guys.

P.S. What a difference a week makes, I just checked, and guess what? Hutch is a GIRL! So now her name is Josey.

Thanks again, bye.