hutch plans

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Chinclub, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

Since I am new to breeding rabbits I thought I was start out on a small scale of about 5 does and three bucks. Right now my rabbits are each in a different kind of pen and its not the prettiest thing to look at. Does anyone have a link to plans for building nice uniform hutches. I would prefer on big unit, if you know what I mean. How do you guys house your herds?

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

we have battery cages, wired together in a 4 to a set system with top hole, each cage is 3ft by 3 ft they are wired back to back and side to side, ( think like how an egg carton is )
    these are then connected into rows depending on how many does you have most commercial barns have either 2 or 3 rows of these cages going down the length of the barn most rabbit raisers cannot stack cages, its against buyers guideleins, but if youre just doing it for yourself, you could do that, personally i dont like stacked on top , the thought of the poor bunn on the bottom getting peed on just is , well nasty

BTW, thats of course for new zealand whites, the most common commercial rabbit , but its big enough to work for just about any other breed as well hope that helps :D
    B

3. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

Do you make your cages or buy them? Do you have pictures? So there is just wire between each doe, do rabbits not "fence fight"? I'm breedig New Zealand Whites now and I am hoping to get some Flemish Giants soon.