hutch floors

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bill not in oh, Sep 14, 2004.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Does anyone use solid floors in their hutches/cages? My wife read and was told by a breeder (satin angoras) that wire floors were hard on the rabbits' feet.

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

My hutches have 1/2" square hardwire floors. The rabbits are 8-10 lb, mature Rex. I haven't had any problems with sore hocks. A small piece of board in the corner of a hutch might be a better option than a solid floor as it gives the rabbits a place to rest without having to deal with the problems of a solid floor (i.e. absorbing urine, chewing, etc). The small board can be changed as needed.

3. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

We use wire bottom cages and place small boards inside and have not had any problems with sore hocks. Keeps the bunny cage cleaner and helps prevent and problems with bunny by allowing the waste to fall thru.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have 1" x 1/2" wire floors under my French Angoras, and they also have a board to sit on if they feel the need. I occasionally see one on the board, but they seem to regard it more as a toy to push around the cage! I've had to replace one because it was used as a urinal, which took less than 5 minutes to cut another piece of untreated wood. I think replacing the floor would be much more of a problem.

Rabbits also produce an amazing amount of urine and feces, which falls through the wire cage floors. With solid floors, I imagine you'd have to have deep bedding to protect the floor, and then you'd have to change it daily to protect the rabbit. And with all that bedding, you'd have a hard time keeping rabbits cool in the summer, if you're in a hot summer area. Just guessing here, since I've never used solid floors, but I think someone would be quite a slave to cleaning to keep your rabbits healthy with that type of floor.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

Meg :)

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

The problem with solid floors is disease. The rabbits deficate and urinate on the solid floor and step in it. Even if you you fill the cage with litter to absorb the waste it still gets saturated and the floor will need to be replaced. A rabbit cleans their feet with their tongues so you want the manure and urine to be removed immediately. If you are concerned about their feet on the wire, place a piece of cardboard, gypsm (dry wall) or wood in the cage for them to stand on. It is ok if they eat it.

Appearently Europe had the same concerns about the poor rabbit's feet and mandiated a law that has plastic slats which are set 1/4 inch apart. The problem is these slats are not far enough apart to allow the feces to fall through and they are having a heck of a time with Cocci. To combat cocci they are having to medicate their rabbits on a constant basis. So much for keeping healthy rabbits, costs down and the humans that consume rabbit meat antibiotic free.