Husky Tools

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Yankee1, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

How are husky tools? I saw them in Home Depot.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would judge them parallel to Craftsman hand tools, but not top of the line like Mac and Snapon.

Craftsman power tools are not ever going to be purchased again by me, big dissappointment.

3. Oshbrg

Oshbrg Member

I would put them above Craftsmen.. I used to go through ratchets like crazy. Switched to Husky from Craftsmen and have had no problems at all. Both are garenteed for life, but I hate having to run to Sears everytime I break a tool.

4. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

Yankee1

Both Husky and Craftsman are guaranteed. Be sure and read the guarantee for Husky tools. Returned a Husky ratchet to Home Depot and they told me I had to send it back to the manufacture by mail (at my expense). Went to another Home Depot and they exchanged it for me. Lot of changes going on at Home Depot. I like Husky tools but I like the convenience of going to the local Sears and exchanging tools rather then paying for shipping to return their tool.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

As Mrs BooBoo just said "See,everything is going to cheap junk.We are regressing"
    She is right,its the Walmart 'junk' mentality taking over.
    Not good at all :(

BooBoo

6. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Interesting note here.....

A fellow maintenance man at work bought a set of metric husky wrenchs. Looked them over and thought Hmmmmm.... went to my toolbox and reteived a snap-on 10mm, compared the two tools. Visually I saw no differece, even the angle of the box end was identical. Are they from the same manufacturing plant? No idea. Just found that interesting

One more thing, Bought a few craftsman tools here and there over the years, Ratchets are junk, and the warrenty/customer service for them is terrible around these parts. Wont ever buy from sears again.

7. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Craftsman, Matco, NAPA, and KD are all the same tool

Mac, Stanley, and Blackhawk are all the same tool.

The brand at Lowes used to be made by Snap-On, but no longer.

Both HD and Lowes are now "high end" imports.

Cornwell still makes their own flat iron, but buys most all else.

The others do as well for that matter

8. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Antique tools, taken care of, are far better than most modern tools. Almost nothing is as good as the older stuff is.

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I have set o 1/4 inch drive Husky sockets in the metal case my grandad bought them in..... he was a mechanic for Mcfarland Pole company [now mcfarland cascade] in the late 50's - when he passed away in '73.... he was hard on tools, but only bought the ones he knew would last..... i use them every once in awhile.... but like grandad, i dont use the small sockets for much.... neat though they used to come with 3 - 8 point sockets even in the 1/4 drive set.

I dont know how the newer ones would be though.... ive busted just about evry brnd name that is supposed to be good on the 1/2 - 3/4 inch nuts .... not always using a 6 foot cheater either.

William

10. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Cant argue that fact with you at all. I have many tools from the past that were gave to me from my grandaddy and dad. Still use them today here at the homestead.

The things about the newer tools that are on the market ( at least from snap -on ) are that thaey are more precision and more "user friendly" ( ihate that term, but true ) A 1963 1/2" wrench will not fit where a current quality wrech can. Ratchets are finer in their movements to "click" and I use regular sockets on my impact with no adverse effects to them ( other than craftsmen, most have failed )

But bottom line Antiquestuff, you are right, them ol tools are hard to beat when it gits down to tha nitty gritty!

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member