Husky 55 saw--need answer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by braggscowboy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a 55 Husky saw at the flea market over the weekend. Looks as if it has been used very little. It was dirty in places and still had saw dust in places. The man I got it from said that he could not get it started. I thought for the price, that I would buy and use the parts on my other Husky saws if I could not get it going. I am going to get a new plug today and put in new gas and try to start. If not, does anyone have any idea as to why it does not want to start. While pulling the rope, it does not feel just like my others, more like it does not have as much compression as it should. Could there be a problem of some kind there? I would appreciate any and all information. Thanks!

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Does it have a plug in it?

3. Jeff Hathaway

Jeff Hathaway Active Member

I was about to say the same thing! I once had trouble starting a Stihl cutoff saw, and discovered that someone had removed the plug!

Great chainsaw, though- I love my Husky 55!

Jeff Hathaway

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

It may have an open or missing "compression-release valve" (I think that's what there called). These valves are on larger saws and on other pull-start types of equipment to make pull starting easier.

5. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, it does have a plug, but will try a new one. It does have the compression release valve thay you describe. I know that it is hard to say what might be the problem, but was hoping that someone might of had this problem. I don't know what might go bad on one, because I have not had any problem with mine. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've got three of the 55's but they are all older saws. None of mine have a compression release. Heck, only one even has a chain break.

Could be lots of problems though if there is lack of compression. Head gasket, blown motor, loose plug, bad rings etc. Only way to know it to take it apart and see.

They're a darn good saw though and worth getting fixed. I used mine for commercial thinning contracts and they held up admirably for that and still have cut tons and tons of firewood.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I'd also flush the fuel tank and try with fresh. As for compression I haven't a clue. I know the newer ones (like mine) have a lighter pull on the starter rope (easier to start).

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    With all 2 stroke engines there are crank seals. These rubber/fiber seals cause the pressured fuel in the crankcase to stay pressured in order to enter the cylinder. In a 2 stroke the piston causes the pressure to build and when the piston goes below the scavanger ports (the holes in the cylinder walls), the fuel/oil mix is pressured into the area above the piston. If the seals are cracked, blown out, tore, ect the fuel will not have enought pressure to enter the fireing chamber. It will be necessary to split the engine halves to change these seals. Not an impossible job for a homeowner but should be mechaincally inclined to attempt. This sounds like your proabible solution, the symptoms fit.

9. Doug

Doug Member

See if you have spark, if not try replaceing the on/ off switch

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Ck everything the others have said. But a quick and easy ck. is to remove the muffler and look at the cylinder wall and the piston. Very common for the piston and the cyl wall to be scored. This will cause loss of compression. This is usually due to improper oil or not enough mixed with the gas. A new piston and cylinder is very expensive for those saws.