Husband Want To Go Into The Buck Business ??!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Helena, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

We have homesteaded now for 25 years. Raised goats for that long and still have 9 goats..for milk and cheese etc. Went to the Easter Auction on Monday and of course you get all "gun-ho" on goats when you see what the prices are at Easter time. We know it's the best time of year and usually around here you can't give a buck away when you have them !! But hubby thought...if we bought up the bucks and raised them for next year we could make a few "bucks"...no pun intended !! :haha: My concern is we don't have much acreage..only 4 acres. Which we have the goats..3 horses and usual chickens etc. We buy all our hay and feed and do our own fencing which is hard enough to keep up with as is. I'm not ..not in favor of trying to make a few dollars...but have any of you done this. I would want separate shelter for them away from the "family" goats. I still would want to give them their shots, worming and good hay. Do we make them all weathers..?? But hubby says we don't have to grain bucks ??!! Everything to me deserves the best of care and I know I will make them into pets which isn't all that bad becaue I realize what their end will be in the beginning of this adventure. I don't know...what do you all think ???

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm having a hard time imagining making money on it. I suggest that if you try it, you keep careful track of all your expenses, so you'll be able to clearly tell in the end how you did for making the decision again.
    mary

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

You are right, Helena, bucks need very little grain if at all. My bucks receive grain at breeding to keep their condition. They need quality hay, browse, minerals, and water. Depending on the price you would pay at an auction, and what you could sell them for a year later probably wouldn't be too much of a profit giving the expense for hay, worming, vaccinations, etc. Most markets for meat goats want intact males, so you would not have the cost or time involved in castrating but, hoof trimming can take some tricky maneuvers especially with intact bucks in rut !!! :D I think if there was some money to be made in housing, maintaining, selling bucks there would be a lot more people doing just that - so my guess would be if it's done it would be for the pleasure and the few extra bucks in the pocket. You could talk or email a few meat producers to see what their strategy may be to help on a small scale venture. Most you will find are in Texas area.

Try some searches on here to see what others have found based on their experience too.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought the demand was for young milkfed goats at Easter?

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I also always thought people wanted only kid goats for Easter. But at the sale the big bucks were going for over $130 which I thought was a lot of $$$!!! My problem would be I would spend so much time with them with their care and housing that I know I wouldn't make any big money. Hubby would have to do the fencing etc...and he has enough on his plate right now anyway. Perhaps as the "fever' dies down..I will be safe from his idea. Men...you got to love them !!!