Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a bright red sore on his leg, there is no sign of a bite, he hasnt gotten into anything poison, He noticed it Thursday night, He has been sick for about a week, he barely remembers driving home thursday night from being exhausted, sat in chair, all night and didnt work Friday becuase just was to sick, he showed me sore Friday morning, it looks like he has scratched it raw, but he hasnt and it doesnt itch,, it is swollen a great deal, and hurt also,also hot to the touch, does any one have any ideas, we dont have insurance and he doesnt want to go to ER only as last resort..

thanks
simple farm girl

have a picutre of it but cant post it

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
your dh needs a doctor. i know it's tough without insurance, but if it is making him so sick he can't work from exhaution, it needs to be evaluated by a doctor. is there a free clinic in your area? our local health department will see people on sliding scale (according to income), as will our local rural medical clinics.

is he running a fever? eating and drinking? urinating and moving his bowels? anything hurt? is there anything that makes him feel better?

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
simplefarmgirl said:
My husband has a bright red sore on his leg, there is no sign of a bite, he hasnt gotten into anything poison, He noticed it Thursday night, He has been sick for about a week, he barely remembers driving home thursday night from being exhausted, sat in chair, all night and didnt work Friday becuase just was to sick, he showed me sore Friday morning, it looks like he has scratched it raw, but he hasnt and it doesnt itch,, it is swollen a great deal, and hurt also,also hot to the touch, does any one have any ideas, we dont have insurance and he doesnt want to go to ER only as last resort..
It could be a bite from something even if there is no sign of it.
It could be cellulitis, which would cause the exhaustion, etc. The swollen, hot to the touch and pain makes me think it might be cellulitis, and believe me , you do want to go to the doctor for that. If it is, it will spread and become extremely painful and he will need antibiotics for it.

It could also be a staph or strep infection. I know its rough without insurance but these things are nothing to fool around with :( especially if he is having swelling and warmth and is getting sick and exhausted from it.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to thank you for the advise,, I have been trying to get him to go to ER since FRiday, after showing him what you guys wrote he decided it would be in his best interest to go. We just got back he has cellulites. He has to take 500mg of keflex 4 times a day for the next 10 days and soak leg 3-4 times a day for 20 minutes.
Nurse said he was lucky to come in when he did, should of listen to me and came in earlier but hopefully if he follows dr's orders things will be ok.

His leg hurts alot I hope he didnt wait to long. side effects to medicine are terrible especially since he is a trucker,

thank you again for your advice.

simple farm girl

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Good news!
Cellulitis can spread, and linger for a long time. Its something I NEVER want to get, its very painful and debilitating.

I understand what side effects you are referring to. Bring changes of clothes, plastic bags for "emergencies", etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts