Hurt goat! Caught her leg!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Apr 15, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

My poor little Heidi who is about 2 1/2 months old caught her leg earlier between a wooden beam and a pallet. How? No idea. Anyway when I got it out I gave her some water and looked at the leg and there was a small scrape and so I didn't think anything of it as it wasn't anything really. Well tonight I went out to feed and she put hardly ANY weight on it, drug it around and it is swollen on her thigh. I felt good as I did earlier and again nothing felt broken but what should I do? She eats fine, wags her little tail quickly while she does and ambles around. Her ears feel fine as in no temp. Anything I need to do or watch for? She's had a tetanus and been wormed but nothing else. She is so sweet and I just hate that!! She was eating her alfalfa when I left and doing fine as she can be expected I guess. Anyway thanks for any input!!
    Jessi

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

She might have twisted her leg badly. Sounds like there is no break. I would keep and eye on her and watch that leg. Keep her in a smaller area as to help keep her activity low so she doesn't do more harm than good. You need to take her temp though not just feel her ears. Get a digital thermometer from you store, dip it in something to coat it then take her temp in the butt (just the tip needs to be inside).

Goats can get their legs, ears, noses, ect. in the WEIRDEST places..and they are just wonderful at finding new ways to hurt them selves it seems like.

I am sure she will be just fine. I bought a kid (felt sorry for her and fell in love with her) that at 2 weeks of age broke her leg right on the joint. The owner casted her leg and we both hoped for the best. She was fine also..acted like a normal kid..except for being carefull with the leg. We where worried that it wouldn't heal right due to the break being right on her joint. At 8 months she won grandchampion over her mother at fair.

If you want to bring the swelling down(which I would..) either try soaking it in some warm water with epsom salt in it(works wonders on sprains, swollen joints ect...I should know I have used it on my self once and a while) or I believe you can give Ibuprofen so her...I got childrens liquid Ibuprofen..and for my goats would do the adult/oldest child dose.

Hope she gets better soon!!

MotherClucker

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

For right now, I would just keep an eye on her.

It sounds like she just twisted the leg. If that's true then in the next few days she'll start putting weight on it and it will heal up by itself.

If after a couple of days the leg isn't getting any better I would take another good look at it and either splint it myself or call a vet. Sometimes breaks swell alot and you can't tell there's anything wrong with the bone until the swelling goes down a bit.

These things happen, usually the critter is just fine. Just like twisting your ankle when you're out for a walk - it hurts at first, then it gets better and after a few days you don't even notice it anymore.

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well Heidi is now putting some weight on it and only drags it when she is trying to go fast. Eating well and everything so I think she'll be fine. Thanks!!