Hurry before winter gets here

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ajoys, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

Living in Southern California, I never realized just how much winter and snow could dictate your schedule and priorities.

I have got a long list of things that must get done before winter. All kinds of situations that you have to be prepared for. It seems like I have plenty of time but I just know that if I don't get it all done soon I will not make it.

Well, back to work.

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Our list seems to include cleaning and checking our pantry and such. Just last week we emptied the large basement, cleaned it thoroughly, got rid of some things, returned some things to their rightful place (how DOES that happen??), and took inventory of the pantry shelves. We still need to empty and clean the freezer, put up the antique schoolroom chalkboard in the kitchen and several other chores.

Usually in the fall we do windows again, wash the window treatments, dry clean the drapes, wash and put away the summer blankets, switch the summer/winter clothes, prep the garden beds, and much more. Just too early to do some chores.

Saw folks buying tons (literally) of wood pellets at the feed store today.

3. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in NC it's the opposit!

As soon as Christmas is over I'm thinking of all I need to get done before the end of April. As a result I start way too many projects because "the weather is so nice". Then as soon as the temps get up to about 89F I start to feel really tired all the time and come June I'm looking out the window at the beautiful sunshine longing to get out and work. Open the door and you're hit by that wall of heat. I find myself getting very down and depressed and feel like a prisoner. By the time I finish feeding animals and doing basic chores it's too hot to do anything else. Then by the time it's comfortable to go out it's already too dark and almost bed time. Things quickly get away from me. Even with the air conditioning I never feel good at all in the summer.

Our electric bill came with a little "summer safety tips" leaflet. There was the usual "wear sunscreen and a hat" But stressed "try to accomplish out door tasks between the hours of 4 am and 9am!!!! And in the evening after 9pm!!!!

I lived 10 years in Northern NH and could never understand the "cabin Fever" people complained of. But I do now after living here.

If all goes well we will be moving to the mountains very soon. It's like I'm getting my life back again. I can't wait to be able to stay outside all day!

P.L.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I just spent quite a bit of time this weekend also preparing for winter. The weather finally cooled enough to work outside and I am rearranging the doors, etc. on the old barn to keep the wind and rain out better this year since now it houses critters. I still need to get the tarp on the tall part of the barn before the rains get here. It's a cheap alternative until a new roof can be put on. I straightened out the tarp on the low side of the barn to make sure it won't take off and make a 50 by 50 sail this winter!

I am also collecting peacock feathers - they are all 3 losing their beautiful tails all over the yard. I took up the electric net fence around the ducks and mowed, then replaced it. That should do through the winter to keep out that nasty coyote.

This is my first year on my homestead so I will be interested to read what others do to get ready for winter.

5. Jean

Jean Well-Known Member

Here in Iowa we will soon be feeling the cool evenings and cooler days. The walnut trees are beginning to lose their leaves and the swallows are gathering. Summer is about gone here. My husband is looking at the woodpile and thinking we will need more wood cut but it is still too warm to get out in the timber. He likes sweatshirt days to do that job. Yes, there will be windows to wash and some extra deep cleaning to get done. The onions are pulled and curing in the machine shed. Tomatoes still coming on and need some in the pantry. Need to have the barrel filled with gasloine for winter snow plowing and maybe some for the generator if we have some power failures this year. Potatoes to be dug, sweet potatoes to be dug, popcorn to be picked although it is not ready yet. Will need to freshen up the winter blankets and winter clothing. We also will have apples to freeze and dry too. Actually this summer has been really busy here and when the cooler weather comes around it permits you to have some leisure in your days and we look forward to that. In the fall I always stop in at the local locker and pick up some nice soup bones for those snowy days when a nice pot of soup on the stove is welcome. Probably alot more stuff to do. Do enjoy hearing about what all you homesteaders are doing.
    Jean

6. Future Farmer

Future Farmer Member

Every year about the end of August I start to feel like I should be collecting things into the root cellar, wood shed and barn. It's really quite frustrating, considering I haven't made the move to the country yet. Even as a kid I used to make large piles of pine cones for the coming winter, even though they were of no use at all.

If you've got a place where you do chores to prepare for the coming winter, I'm jealous. I know it's a lot of work, but it could be a whole lot worse. For example, you could be living in an apartment in the city, saving every penny and falling asleep each night dreaming of the sheer joys that come with mucking out the barn or chasing varmints out of the hen house.

Sigh.

7. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Thank you all for this thread. It helps me improve my list and not forget stuff. I love hearing what everyone is doing - the knitty gritty. I am waiting for a little cooler weather to paint cielings inside. Has anyone ever gotten their heat ventings in the house cleaned ? Was it worth it? Sapphira

8. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    "Hurry before winter gets here"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Signed,

Michael in Texas

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Winter here means packing away the bikini and bringing out the knee socks.

10. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Jan D.------------ROFLMAO !!!!!

11. OD

OD Well-Known Member

The fire wood is all cut & stacked; done in March & April to give it plenty of time to cure. Hay is all baled & moved out of the meadow. Onions pulled up, cured, boxed, & sitting close to the air conditioner to keep them from ruining in the heat. Most of the canning & freezing done. Still need to plant some things for a fall garden, put water sealer on the back porch, clean out the chicken house, & pen some calves that should have been weaned 2 months ago. It's too hot to do much in August, most of it will keep till September.

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

in November.... :) sweaters out in January. As kids we used to wish for cold weather so we could use the beautiful sweaters we were given (by northern relatives) for Christmas :)

14. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, Pigeon Lady.... at least we don't get sunlight deprivation/depression!!! And we don't even have to go outside!! AND.. there's the added bonus of getting to be outside in 'perpetual sprintime" while the rest of the country is freezing it's tail off!

I know... :no: I feel the same as you, tho in the summer.. SO... I've started to get prepared for the heat and not going out by planning ahead for indoor activities that will keep me busy and productive and sometimes organize the soon to come 'fall/winter' when I CAN go out!

So what if us southern girls can't crochet in front of the fire? We're crocheting to KEEP out of the FIRE!! LOL!

15. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

This is the time we start preparing for the long winter months. We check on food supplies, fire wood is all set, I have to get making new curtians for the living room I want them to be lined to aid in keeping the cold out. Have to find someone to clean out the chimmney, Have to start getting extra food for the pets.

RenieB

16. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

When I use to live in Southern California, there really is no winter, so you never have to worry about anything. Now I live in Colorado at 8000' and winter is going to be something to be prepared for. I never realized how winter could dictate your priorities. This is all new to me, but I am enjoying it very much.

17. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Let's see.......winter. Oh, I know what winter is, that's when the weather is nice and we go outside and work without sweating and tend the winter garden and hang out outside because it's not hot. And you can work in old barns and brush because the snakes and red wasps are asleep.