hurricanes to be 5xs worse this year?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myheaven, Jun 1, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband called and said that they are predicting that this years hurricanes will be 5x's worse this year than last year. Anyone else hear this? Now Mr. noneedtoworrie says start to stock up (have already been doing that).
    This last year they(hurricanes) set 3 new records.

2. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

They can't even predict what the weather is going to be this weekend..so I wouldn't take the "5x" thing as a sure thing. However..don't bet against it either. The oceans are definitely getting warmer..and the warm water definitely increases the strength of a hurricane.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Everything I've heard says there would be fewer and less intense hurricanes by a small margin, but they'd hammer the east coast, more than the gulf. They're calling for hot and dry here and while they seem to have the hot part we've had lots of rain too. Weatherpeople can't predict dinner standing in the kitchen looking at the stove. "Well there's steam so it must be soup......."

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

And I just read that New Orleans is sinking faster then what they thought. Now sinking at the rate of ONE Inch a year~! And now people will find out why those levees failed as they had Sunk by over 3 feet in some places from what they were just a few years ago.

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

The projection I saw said ~15 named storms this year. Last year they ran out of names!

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ditto...

7. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont watch tv or listen to the radio. So Im realy in the dark. Just wanted to know what all yalls heard.

8. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

I heard the storms will be less severe than last year and less storms would make landfall. I take it all with a grain of salt as last year was much worse than predicted. Living in central Florida the best we can do is watch the storms' paths and do what we can to prepare. We moved to a new house last fall and this past week we scoped out the new "hurricane hideout", aka the cupboard under the stairs (I feel so Harry Potter).