Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what a guy in my town did. He made a tornado shelter out of a fuel storage tank. I'm thinking about putting one on my property but I doubt I'll advertise it in the paper. I hope you can see the article, it was in our local paper and I tried to scan it but it didn't scan very well. I'll try to go by and see if he minds if I take some pictures of it. If he doesn't mind I'll post them here. :D

Also mods I don't see edit your avatar shown under my account. Do I have a limited account or something? Thanks for any help with this.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Avatar permission takes some count of posts. I don't know the number, but I'd think before long.

Angie

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I think I would have buried it deeper - I've seen damage from tornadoes in Oklahoma, and they can suck up things on the ground or right under the ground.

But he sounds like a nice, community minded man....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I would have buried it deeper also. If I put one in it will be completely underground. That way radiation or blast waves are not issues either. And yes this is the type of mentality the people have where I live. Here neighbors look out for each other. I wish more people thought like that instead of the wall street "greed is good" mentality.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Interesting color! I wouldn't mind something like that, though, especially if it had a built-in fan.

And I agree, I would have buried it totally.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
We had a bad tornado come through here many years ago, and afterwards a lot of people put in shelters.

The one I remember the most was the guy by the creek who lost his trailer in the tornado.

He got a new trailer, built a large underground concrete shelter next to it, and the very next year we had flooding and he lost both of them. He finally realized he was living in the wrong place

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a bad tornado come through here many years ago, and afterwards a lot of people put in shelters.

The one I remember the most was the guy by the creek who lost his trailer in the tornado.

He got a new trailer, built a large underground concrete shelter next to it, and the very next year we had flooding and he lost both of them. He finally realized he was living in the wrong place
Either that or he was reaping some real bad karma. :croc:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've always wondered- should the door to a shelter open inwards? What if something blocked the door? Just curious...

Twila

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It think out is better but I'd put a hydralic jack and a steel beam in my shelter to force the door if something was on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to see this guys bunker at the address listed in the article and he had moved. So I asked his neighbor and he told me where he moved to. I called him up and asked him if he would mind if I came over and took a look and he said sure. So I went and checked it out. Where he had moved to was not on a hill and he said he had a problem when it had rained one day that the tank had floated up out of the ground so he poured a 3 yard slab under it and sunk mobile home tie downs into the slab and secured the tank into the ground with straps over it. That will probably help hold it down in the event of a tornado also. He has a squirrel cage blower bringing air in and another fan exhausting air. It also has a landline phone, a televsion and a microwave oven. It's wired with 110 power but he also has a battery and 12 volts lights in it for when power goes out. He bought this tank for $500.00 so it's a pretty cheap shelter. I asked him why he didn't bury it all the way underground and he said he didn't want to have to climb down a ladder because of his age but he told me of another guy close by that has a tank completely buried so I'm gonna look him up and see what his setup looks like if he will let me come look at it. If so I'll post some pictures of his setup here also. Man I want to install one of these at my house. He mentioned fiberglass tanks might be a good choice also. Heres a couple of pictures I took.
That me in the bunker.

He can chain the door closed from the inside to keep it from flying open.

Four big sets of hinges hold the door on.

He has it right beside his house so he can run out and jump into it if he needs to but I would worry about getting trapped in it by debris. I'm gonna put mine out in the middle of a field but not too far from the house but far enough away from anything that could fall onto it and block the door. All in all it's a pretty nice setup for $500.00 and it gave me some ideas about what i want to do. Plus it motivated me to get mine done.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
That's pretty cool. I think if I had my way, however, I'd just dig a hole that big and line it with cinderblocks. Build it into the side of a hill and you've got yourself a nice little hobbit hole.

I worry about living in a giant steel tube. Debris could crush your air intake and the whole thing is way too close to his house. What happens if that wall falls on top of the door?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts