Hurricane season starts today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Jun 1, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Unlikely to have anything this early but its time to start stocking up on supplies, the usual, batteries, containers for water, enought food for a couple of weeks, a method of cooking it, ect.

Bunch and know where to find items you cannot replace, gather enough medicine to last you, gain a first aid kit. I know this only affects southeastern states but there are a lot of readers in this area.

Animals usually survive best if they are free of confinement, shelters do not accept animals, mark them with a phone number and set them free if it comes to the big one bearing down on you. On the 843 acre ranch last year we lost no animals through 4 major hurricanes.

Keep the appropiate tools handy, a well serviced chain saw is a must have, there will be no fuel available after a cane so fill everything before hand. Do not run your generator in the rain, the humidity clogges the air filter so the engine has extra vacuum, this causes the oil to suck up into the combustion chamber and when the oil is gone so is the generator.

The things that were needed the most last year was lighting items, tarps, fuel, fast and easy food, animal feed, water, and especially cash money as there will be no electricity to power the ATM machines.

2. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder Moopups...can we cancel the season now? We're still not cleaned up from last year. :rolleyes: :no: :no:

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

yep i got the generator ready to roll

4. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Too late for me!
    Some wind came through and we were without the electrical umbilical cord for 18 hours last Saturday. Two of my neighbors were away and wouldn't you know it?! Each one had half a tree come down. My chainsaw was on the fritz, so I had to use an arm-operated saw!
    At least I had no damage to my place!