Hurricane Prep Plays Hob With One's Budget

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Grandmotherbear, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

(Hope this posts, I just dropped some bottled water I was hauling in on the puter)

Maybe those of you who have minimized dependence on the power grid are not as impoverished by hurricane prep as those of us in all electric housing (and despite the 4 hurricanes 2 weeks apart each, Grandfatherbear still stands firmly against a gas stove) but the rest of us need to consider lack of refrigeration. Electric was down 5 days after Charlie, 4 after Frances for us and 2 weeks after Frances for our daughter .This means hurricane supplies have to be individual serving size and about ready-to eat, which is against my basic budgeting rules (buy bulk, buy as unprocessed as possible, plan on cooking etc) Starbucks ready to drink coffee lattee, for instance, is about $1.50 a bottle. Neverthe less, I have 20 bottles. After Charlie, GFB and I suffered most from lack of coffee. After Frances, we, my daughter and 10 year old grandson had all the coffee we needed. Long shelf life milk runs $1.70 in individual serving 3 paks, whereas a quart is 99cents to $1.29. But again, there is no refrigeration for the leftovers.

I refilled my 2 blood pressure prescriptions, amitryptilene for pain control and Prevacid for reflux prior to Frances. The insurance company didn't want to pay for one of them because I still had a 5 day supply left. I growled at the pharmacist "do you want to pay the lawsuit award after I have a stroke in the aftermath of this hurricane?" She sighed and called back the insurance company. I paid $85 and this was with the insurance discount. Normally I buy 1-2 prescriptions a pay period. BTW the drugstores were closed for a week afterwards.

Anyway you get the drift. Add in repair costs, lost wages etc. and losing a freezer full of meat and refrigerator full of condiments...you get the picture.

By the way, years ago in Florida you get get small cans of butter- shelf stable. I haven't seen them in years. I think they were a Hispanic firm, but don't even remember the name or which store had them- and haven't seen it at any of the Bodegas I used to drop into in Palm Beach County...

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Grandmotherbear,
    In Cooking & Crafts a few weeks ago, there was a discussion about canning butter. Someone had posted this wonderful site & there was a recipe for canned butter in it. I tried it & it really works. It will keep for several days without refrigeration. There are lots of other suggestions on living without refrigeration.
    It's probably too late for this hurricane & I hope there won't be another one for a long time, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
    http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

gmb, I hear ya' God be with you and your family. Jeanne's winds are picking up right now- I am hearing that familiar rumble. When school gets closed I don't get paid. We went through emergency supplies with Charley and again w/ Frances though we didn't lose power with Charley (but it was flickering and we didn't turn anything on). We are now , once again, prepared, and I keep wondering how do others do it? Even trying to save our emergency supplies- it is so expensive and so This time I made my own ice but my freezers are empty so it is basically the same. The canned butter, if it was yellow, was Danish, but was sold in bodegas. I loved that butter and still look for it.

4. Grandmotherbear

I'll check that site after power restored- some of our elec coop crews went up to the Panhandle ta assist after Ivan- don't know if they are back- maybe they are looking forward to Jeannie so they can get some "down time" and sleep through the storm!.
    Tango- did you ever find the butter??Okeechobee is not too far from us...
    Oh Loed, be mindful of us. We are so small, and your winds and waters so vast...

5. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

One of the sad things we are seeing now with Jeanne is that far fewer people are evacuating the storm, putting more people in harms way.. and the reason many are not leaving is they cannot afford it.. the previous storms zapped their budgets.. and many have not be working the past few weeks as they had, some not at all.. those hard working people, like restaurant workers and retail people, office people and such were already living paycheck to paycheck.. it is pretty hard to make a good living in florida outside of the professions.. and the added expenses they have had being out of their homes, having to buy supplies, losing things they needed, extra gas costs.. it is very sad to see some people in damaged homes, still waiting for help from their insurance companies and repair companies and now facing a major storm in a compromised home.. my prayers for them all.. for all of us.

Donovan

6. Grandmotherbear

I relaxed my Nestle boycott to buy hurricane supplies (my daughter, the militant BF nazi absolved me- she said "do what ya gotta do) Anyway I opened the can of Nestle Table Cream to make SOS (cream chip beef, a particular comfort food of mine) and found it as thick as condensed milk. Is this normal? The label says to stir in skim milk to desired consistency but not what the consistency should be on opening...

7. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Grandmotherbear,
    You and all my Florida homesteading friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

please dont take this uestion the wrong way.... Why do not folks in places where the threat of hurricanes and earthquakes or tornados or whatever else nature could throw at them, have a coleman stove and a galllon of coleman white fuel?

Now i grew up and still live in Idaho, so having a camp stove was someting that has been part of our family for nearly 50 years, and upon one occassion when dollars were tighter than my folks wanted to talk about we used a coleman stove to cook on for a couple months, and that at the time of canning [propane stove was having a problem and not enough dollars for a fix] anyhow, a gallon of coleman fuel dont cost much, stores for longer than a person thinks [ i have a quart left in a can that is about 6 years old and it still fired up the stove a couple weeks back after finding it] i do put a date on all my canned goods gas included for rotating purposes.

canning supplies dont cost much why dont more people can perishibles that may be canned? I understand people used to can pork sausage in its own fat [i do not eat pork so i dont know if it is doable] when opened and fried again it is supposed to be like new..... on a similar note we can quarts of hambuger stew and other stew as well which does lend itself to buying in bulk and saving for later..... How come more folks dont can anymore.... can of Dinty Moore beef stew is $4.00 a jar of home canned stew is better tasting, and cost at least half that, maybe less even if you throw out the jar!

btw I have a single burner coleman stove that my dad bought in the mid 60's, 2 double burner stoves [one bought a yard sale for $10.00] and a three burner stove bought from a former outfitter for $15.00, a single mantle and 2 double mantel lanterns bought at yard sales...... coleman gas is spendy $7.00 a gallon if bought at higher price camp stores, but in bulk through a supply distributor i got mine under $4 in bulk. and it is something you have to pick up and not have shipped as it is considered hazzardous for reason or other.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

This all goes along with the thread I started on the BACKWOODS HOME forum about "being prepared."

I did live in Plant City, FL for several years and it is important to have things ready so that if there is no electricity you're family can still survive. Canning is a big way to do that. And if the canning stuff doesn't blow away and your home is still semi intact, if you have a propane or camp stove, you can continue to cook nutritious meals for your family....

The same is true for stockpiling drinking water and all other supplies.

Our prayers are with everybody in Florida but everybody in the United States MUST get prepared and be prepared to take care of their own families in situations such as this....Last week in north Central Alabama everybody was urged to be ready because we didn't know how badly Ivan was going to hit here.

There were some folks who went simply nuts because it took five days to get their electricity back on!!!!

The folks at COUNTRYSIDE magazine and BWH have been saying for years and years and years, (as well as the folks as the early MEN) that we all need to BE PREPARED for emergencies, have a well-stocked pantry, have water and medication stored, have animal feed stored,,,,,we need to remember the things we learned in preperation for Y2K....there's power outages from thunderstorms, tornadoes, winter storms, and more, and now we can throw in the threat of terrorist attack to disrupt our nation's infrastructure and deliveries by large trucks....

Folks, let's all pray for those in need in Florida right now but let's also work really hard at making sure our homesteads are as prepared for emergencies as possible!

10. Peggyan

Peggyan Well-Known Member

Suzy, I grew up in Plant City. Lived there 37 yrs before moving to Tn. My parents believed in being prepared. My mama canned and kept a well stocked pantry. I can everything. Veggies, meat, soup, stock, chili. I've canned sausage patties in its grease. Its very good when drained and cooked. I keep several dozen boxes of jars and lids in case we are without power so I could can most of the stuff I have in two freezers before it would spoil. It was expensive to start with but keeping it replenished isn't. I just buy enough to replace what I've used at the first of every month. Then for the rest of the month I shop for what's on sale. Probably the way we eat would bore a lot of folks but my philosophy is the same for food and clothes. We have too much and think we can't eat/wear the same thing too many times. I have 4 church dresses and 6 house dresses. When one wears out I make another and turn the worn out skirt into an apron. When the apron has had it I tear it in strips and weave it into one of my rag rugs. My dh and ds wear overalls everywhere except church. So I have an never ending supply of worn denim. I make stuff to sell out of them so I get my money back from them. Its a mind set. To use it up, wear it out, or do without.
    Blessings
    Peggy

11. simpleman

simpleman Well-Known Member

GMB,

I usually drink my espresso cold anyway. What we did for all the hurricanes was to make EXTRA espresso and store it in our refrigerator. I drink it with milk but, when power is out, I switch over to cans of evaporated milk instead. My usual mix is half espresso and half milk. If I had to rely on Starbucks to support my coffee habit, I would be broke. I have found this works well for all of us coffee drinkers (my wife, my mother in law and two of my children) here at home.

Ernest

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

13. simpleman

simpleman Well-Known Member

I wonder how they get their cows to sit over those little cans! Maybe, they use little cows! Hee hee!

Ernest

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Grandmotherbear, have you ever heard of clarified butter, or ghee?

Basically, the butter is melted and the clear part is drawn off. It is a popular cooking oil in India, and since it dates to before the age of refridgeration I bet it doesn't need any. I DO know that you can use it to cook at much higher temperatures than you can with ordinary butter.

15. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Starbucks imitation recipe:

Make 4 oz. of expresso, pour into pitcher that has 1/4 cup sugar (more if you like lots of sugar), and 2 teaspoons of cocoa, add 3 cups milk and 1 teaspoon of pectin. Stir well and let sit in fridge overnight. Stir next day and enjoy.

You can add more or less milk depending on how "creamy" you want your starbucks and more or less pectin depending on how "thick" you like it.

found that on the 'net and adjusted it to make enough to last me more than one cup!!

I just love starbucks frappacino!!

Sidepasser

16. Grandmotherbear

Oh, I quite agree that "one must prepared" or I wouldn't be :haha: posting on the homesteading board! And yeas, I have quite a fine lot of camping goods/hurricane supplies- but they are split between the old house and the new house. And thanks for the ersatz Starbucks recipe but am allergic :waa: to chocalte/cocoa in any form. Now to pull up that canned butter link!!

17. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

FWIW I carry ghee when I backpack. I've had it out for up to 2 weeks in the heat with no refrigeration and it hasn't gotten rancid at all.

18. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Grandmother Bear, I am allergic to chocolate and cocoa too!!! My mama used to make me some delicious brownies that you would swear were chocolate...but they had no choc. of any kind in them...I will ask her for the recipe!!!