Hurricane Katrina & oil prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparkey, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

2. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Well isn't that just special!!!

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Beststash, I didn't see your original post, but you are exactly right on your second. My grandparents bought oil company stocks, and they are paying dividends now to the family trust that benefits my generation. Hubby is a petroleum engineer, and we have participated in a couple of small drilling prospects.

Oil companies make easy targets for whiners, but most people don't realize that the petroleum is an internationally influenced commodity. OPEC, the international commodity markets, futures markets, wars and treaties, etc., influence the prices more than the oil companies.

Climbing on my soap box here.....( and realizing many homesteaders aren't spendthrifts)
    If you drink lots of soft drinks, smoke, drink lots of beer, gamble, buy lottery tickets, etc., you have spent and are spending the money you could have invested in income producing stocks. Total up what you have spent in the last five years on your whims. Then, stop whining.
    Stepping down from soap box. :)

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I guess that its only natural for a woodspirit to agree with a wood nymph.

5. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

6. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

We heard tomorrow morning (Tuesday) gas prices will go up anywhere from 20 to 40 cents per gallon, so we filled up the cars this evening. Hope whoever sees this gets a chance too. :stars:

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A poster here just paid 3.59/gallon,limited to how many cylindars your car has,a V8 gets you eight gallons.I dont know where she lives though.

BooBoo