Hurricane Charlie sneaking up to Florida

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Aug 11, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    He's on the way - you know the drill.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

He is not a full blown hurricane yet but after he hits the Gulfs 90 degree temps there will be little doubt.

3. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Hurricane Bonnie is the one we're expecting right now. Supposed to make landfall sometime before lunch tomorrow. Charlie is right behind her.

At least we're getting some rain. :rolleyes:

Batton down the hatches, all you Floridians in the Panhandle,
    SBJ

4. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Where are you located, moopups. I'm a south Louisiana native and kinda' get excited during hurricane season ... really can put your nerves on edge, but sometimes it feels good ... getting the blood circulatin' and all.

Anyway, haven't kept up with the national weather news lately, am not aware of Charlie's whereabouts. Hope you're safe and he's not too strong!

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

5. doohap

Whew! Just read that there's a "Bonnie" out there, too. Gotta go folks ... news is a'hap'nin and I'm not there!

:)

6. Gina

Gina Active Member

It looks like Bonnie will miss my area but it doesn't look like we'll be so lucky with Charley. They should have named these storms Bonnie and Clyde!

Gina

7. doohap

Here's a link with some great shots of the storms. Be sure to click where it says "click here to see high resolution ... "

If you click on the small photos you will get a larger image, but clicking on the words "click here" will take you to some really large images ... great!

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2282.htm

Peace, smiles and hang in there,
    doohap

8. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like it is heading for Panama City-time to put the plywood over the windows-we're 30 miles north of Panama City. Supposed to make landfall at 7AM tomorrow. Time to check the generator and make sure the oil lamps are filled. You'all take care, Daryll in Nw Fla

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I'm close to Titusville on the east coast, but work in south Orlando, so if it hits Tampa on Friday, I will feel the wind and rain at work and on the way home, but probably won't have to worry with covering the windows at home. Of course, having lived in Florida since birth (back when the dinosaurs roamed), I have seen these storms do totally unpredictable things, like loops and gaining strength over land and changing course at the last possible minute, so it ain't over til the Fat Lady sings....and I can't carry a tune. I'll keep you posted as long as we still have electricity! One great thing about homesteading...we are able to survive without amenities much better than city folks.

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I am all set up for hurricanes :waa: back in Palm Beach County!! Don't have any shutters or nuthin here! I did stop on the way home to buy bottled water- if the electric goes, no pump!!

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hope it misses everybody!!!

12. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Lotsa luck everyone and let us know if it's a Democrat or Republican Hurricane. You should be able to tell by morning.

mikell

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Charly, now a class 2 hurricane is progressing in size and strength, currant projections have it sliceing up through Florida later tomorrow evening. 8 to 12 inches of rain is exspected, 800,000 have been given the order to leave the low lying areas.

14. Grandmotherbear

TV shows absolute gridlock on the bridges out of Pinellas County. I told my mom, who lives in Pinellas, to lay in some bottled water and sit tight. In spring 1979 there was a massive cloudburst in Pinellas- not a storm but what the metereologists refer to as a "train" that dumped a foot of rain in 10 hours. Mom and I were down in Sarasota with my kids- I was interviewing at a hospital since I was graduating from nursing school in August. Returned to floods and gridlock. We had the children's beach toys in the car- blew up the raft and put them on it and walked home through thigh deep water. Many homes along my moms street were submerged- families had boosted their guard dogs up onto the roofs and left- canoinf in the streets- we slogged through the water to her house- the water never reached into her porch. So we know it's high ground, and solidly built in the 60's.

Grandfatherbear is coming to join me in Lake Placid. He reassured me the house withstood the Great March Storm of 93 (I know- we slept here that night) and also Hurricane Donna scored a direct hit- and it's still standing...

Landfall projected for just north of Tampa which means counterclockwise wind circulation shoving a LOT of water ashore- survivors usually describe "storm surge" as a wall of water roaring ashore..

My son and his wife decided to evacuate from St Pete to Jacksonville, which is directly in the storm path...I really have to remind myself that some of this is Mother Nature pruning the gene pool...

15. Grandmotherbear

Funnel clouds nw of Lake Placid and Wauchula. Barrier Islands in Manatee will lose power in a scheduled turnoff at noon. 1.2 million of 1.7 million living in evacuation zones have evacuated.

Hospice told us to be off the road by noon.

16. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

This is a little wierd but my favorite cousin's name was Bonnie (Bonnie was a sweet mild natured person) and her husband's name is Charlie (He is a rather hot tempered person).

I've been in the "path" many times and I hope everyone is braced and ready. I'm keeping you in my prayers.