Hurray!!!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cc, Dec 24, 2006.

1. cc

cc Well-Known Member Supporter

Just want to brag a little bit, got a call from my doctor's office yesterday and got good news, my cholesterol is down 120 points. That is down to that, still kinda high but I'm not in the 300 club anymore!!! Anyone who has high cholesterol knows how hard it is to get it down. The medicine is expensive but not as bad as another heart attack.

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Good job, cc! Keep up the good work. :)

3. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Congrats.

So what did you do to get it to come down?

My Dr. wants my DH to take medicine for his high cholesterol. However, what I don't understand is we don't eat hardly anything with cholesterol in it. Very little animal products.

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

5. cc

cc Well-Known Member Supporter

Anita, my doc put me on Vytorin, my DH has a cholesterol of less than 130 and mine was super high. We eat the same things so I'm just one of the unlucky ones who makes her own cholesterol. Both parents had heart attacks in their 50s so they probably had it also but they just didn't know it. My ratio is good and doc says that is real important. Talk to DH's doc about his ratio of good to bad.

6. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

You make your own cholesterol. Insoluble fibre traps it and it is excreted. I can't take cholesterol meds as they cause terrible neurpathic pain in my feet- like walking on broken glass. red rice yeast does the same (source of Mevacor)
    Doctor has been concerned about it more than me, it has declined from 240 to 215 without drugs, just from exercise and fiber.
    You NEED cholesterol for health. Cholersterol makes cell walls. Pregnant women and growing children NEED higher- than normal cholesterol levels for good health. Also the myelin sheathes that wrap your nerve fibers are packed with cholsterol.
    Congrats on getting it down!

7. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

That's good news ! I refused cholesterol lowering meds last june . The doc wanted me back in November for another check . It had gone down 57 points . He backed off talking about meds .
    I made a homemade granola that I ate daily along with more greens . Cut out the butter and processed meats . Switched to whole grain bread . Avacodo is great for lowering cholesterol .