hunting rabbits

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mink, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mink

mink Well-Known Member

anyone here hunt rabbits with beagles.....i got 2 beagle that run as a pair when i take them together but they both run well by theirselves. i like to hunt with one dog but my buddy likes to take a bunch, how about you guys?.....mink

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

To me its more fun with a pack of dogs. My Uncle used to raise beagles and half were the taller ones and the other half the little short legged ones. The bigger dogs could push the rabbits hard and the small ones could go up inside the brush piles to flush them out. But if one were all I ahd I'd still go LOL

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

To me its more fun with a pack of dogs. My Uncle used to raise beagles and half were the taller ones and the other half the little short legged ones. The bigger dogs could push the rabbits hard and the small ones could go up inside the brush piles to flush them out. But if one were all I had I'd still go LOL

4. I use to be a beagle owner myself. Sometimes my brother-in-law and I would get together with our hounds and just run the tar out them little bunnies. I owned 4 beagles and my BIL owned 10. Sometimes we would run the whole slew of them just to see what happens. It was a lot of fun till it was time to load'em all back up at the end of the day. But most of the time he would bring just 2 or 3 and I would take just a couple and then the next day we would hunt with a new pack and let the others rest.

Haven't owned a beagle now for almost 10 or 12 years. Just can't find any good briar patches to hunt in anymore. Too many people neat or stingy with their property.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I love the sound of beagles or coon hounds on the hunt! I've never owned either though. I had a couple of good bird dogs, but I haven't had a hunting dog for over 20 yrs.

6. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

Hunting with beagles is alot of fun.

My friends have beagles and we harvest enough bunnies that we bone them out and have sausage made.

Growing up we ate so many that we wanted to try something different with them, it is really good and nothing goes to waste.