Hunting permission language

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Sep 9, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

My SO has 112 acres of woods a few hours from here and wants to give permission to hunt to just a very few friends. (Actually, they are going to keep the place mowed, keep outsiders out, and help put in a new road in exchange for hunting rights! Woohoo!) These guys are "friends of a friend" so we don't know them well, but have been assured that they are serious hunters that are very conscientious and will clean up after themselves, etc., etc., etc.

They said that they will need some sort of a "permission" slip from the landowner. What should it say? How do we designate "Mr John Doe and friends"? Do we have to name EACH person (I don't know who he might be bringing).

Thanks!

2. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

We always hunt with a friend who has permission. His permission slip reads "Joe Blow and party have permission to hunt on my property. Signed Landowner." DH has permission to hunt an additional property. It just has his name "and family". (For our son and I.)

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I lease hunting rights out on the farm to an individual, when then forms a hunting club. They are required to carry $1M in hunting liability insurance. I carry the same. If you want a copy of my lease just send an e-mail to me at scharabo@aol.com. A-drive is down for a couple days, but can send it to you when it is back up.

Ken Scharabok

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

You can check various DNR web sites for wording of a permission slip.
    The department of natural resources of your state probably has specific wording. Would be a place to start.

5. cc-rider

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

My wife & I had started having people get permission slips when we had some trouble. I made up a form stating that we were giving them permission to hunt on our property for the year and also we were not responsible for any accidents, etc. that may happen. Both of us signed (me and the person wanting to hunt) 2 copies and he got to keep one, and I got to keep one.

In this day and age of sue happy people, you have to protect yourself. You may want to make sure this is just a 1 year contract and will be renewed depending on how things went the previous year.

7. cc-rider

Good idea about the one-year term. Actually, this contract on the Ohio DNR page is VERY good. It states that the owner isn't responsible for anything, including making sure it is safe to hunt, etc. I printed out 20 copies. :)