Hunting on the homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jex99in00, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Hey everyone, I posted a thread "What to look for in a homestead" a few months ago and the response was overwhelming. Bought some of the reccomended books and haven't been able to put them down. My question here is does anyone use hunting to supplement their family's diet? I've hunted for years and I can't imagine not doing it, but does anyone count on that meat to feed the family? Is it viable to do so? Just wondering...

2. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

My husband brings in atleast 2-4 deer a yr along with wild hog. Hopefully this year there will be turkey along with all of this.

3. magnolia2017

magnolia2017 Well-Known Member

DH and I both hunt venison. Sure helps out on the grocery bill :)

Maggie

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes------Living off the Land--Kinda---Is Most all of our Goals. Like stalking a chicken---Grab it-------Wring its neck(LOL)-----Hey---GOOD EATING off the Yard. I Love Deer meat--It always helps cut down on the meat cost. I Think Turkey season (for me) is going to open in the next day or two, but to eat--not waste. Hope to get a wild hog and some more Deer soon. Good Luck!! Randy

5. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I guess it depends upon where you live. Here in MN we plan on hunting pheasant and deer for sure, and probably goose, maybe turkey, ruffed grouse if we happen to see any, woodcock (for an appetizer). In a SHTF scenario we could also hunt squirrels if we had to, and we have lots of pigeons in the barn at the moment, though we haven't eaten any of them yet. All of the above are on our property and we definitely hunt to eat. We would not starve if we could not hunt, but we love the wild game and consider it to be high-quality meat, especially compared to what we could buy around here.

6. gunslinger598

gunslinger598 Well-Known Member

I get at least a couple deer a year from my pasture. I have a few ponds that I raise catfish in as well. If i was really hungry I could eat turtle 6 days a week. So far I haven't eaten a turtle. There is a lot of stuff here I'd have to be really hungry to eat, such as armadillos, possums, coons etc.

7. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Absolutely we put a deer or two in the freezer , pounds of catfish rabbits and sqirrels .
    Ive even made a point to build rabbit hatcheries around the place .
    wasnt surethey were working untill I raised one of them up last spring it had two sperate litters in it at different ends ( its a brush covered old boat )

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Wild Game and Fish is all we eat.Had Hog tonight,going to have Squirrel tomorrow.

big rockpile

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We usually harvest a deer every year. I can't call it hunting because it's always shot from the bathroom window :D

10. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

We love venision, but because the state regulates WHEN we can legally shoot them, it does not always work out for us. I'd have no problem getting a few deer each year if I didn't worry about when I shot them, but I'm not going to do that.

To me, the main problem with relying on hunting for food is dealing with hunting seasons. A big freezer is a good idea, but even then you have to be careful of possession limits (if they care about that in your area). In the areas I've lived (MN, WI, SD) the laws are set to deter someone from hunting/fishing all summer long within legal daily limits, and stocking up the freezer for winter.

Remember that each state, and often different areas within a state, may have very different regulations as to what, when, how and how many.

So, if you want to supliment with hunting, make sure you move to an area where you can easily do that. This includes what type of hunting tools you are allowed to use. I grew up in a "shotgun" only area. It also includes the amount and types of game, and the ease of hunting on the local terrain.

Cathy

11. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Well hunting is certainly not our only source for meat but if it wasn't there to supplement us our wallet would really feel it. IMHO, the only way to really save any serious money is by doing your own butchering, when you pay a butcher there goes most of your savings.

12. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

I read somewhere once that any people who rely solely on hunting for their staple food will - over time - cease to exist. That's because - on average - you output more calories doing it (hunting, butchering, cooking) than you get from the meat. If supplemented with gardening, grains, local meat (domestic animals) etc, hunting can sure help out on the grocery bill! Esp if you can process it yourself.

R

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Other than an occasional steak purchased at the store during the summer, I’d say all of our “red meat” is venison taken off of our homestead.

14. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We eat lots of local venison and fish, but we don't hunt or fish. Since our property is within the city limits, our neighborhood has to get permission from the city council to allow bow hunting for deer, and we have 3 or 4 hunters on our place, same fellows for many years, and they always supply us with quite a bit of venison, plus sometimes some turkey, bluegills, crappies, and walleyes, if the fishing in the local lake/river is good. Most recently a young friend of my son's was a passenger in a car that hit and killed a deer, and although she is a vegetarian, she decided not to waste the venison, so she had it tagged, hung it in our shed, and some friends helped her dress it out. Luckily it has been cool, so she (and we) ended up with some more good venison.

15. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Red Devil
    I gotta say I can't agree with what ya heard regarding energy input vs. return. Honestly I could provide all my family meat needs through hunting, probably only hunting one day a week and maybe not even that. The problem is the regs on harvesting. Although in ohio you can get very cheap meat if you own land as a hunting license nor permit is required on your own property.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Same here.We are allowed 10 Deer and 12 Turkeys off our property before we have to buy a Permit.Plus Squirrels are in season almost all year.As far as Fish,one day Fishing can get us all we need for months,if we want to do that.

Here lately I have been paying to go Hog Hunting,but that is more for Entertainment.

big rockpile

17. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I think there would be a lot more vegetarians if everyone had to harvest their own meat, be it hunting, or even raising it.

In Wisconsin, it's sorta a way of life.

Last year 2 deer, 2 turkeys, several trout, morels and black berries off "The Place".
    Would have been more, but for the laws.
    Hopefully duck and goose season will be as good, as well as fall turkey.

18. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

I think that the study I saw was for a population of people, living in one place and hunting as a primary means of feeding themselves. Think, Indians. They had to be nomadic or learn to gather and grow because of movement and scarcity in local animal populations.

19. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I hunt & fish, but I don't count on it. How could you?

20. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

As a supplement....absolutely. However, there are times when you will NOT be able to rely solely on it. But I certainly kill or at least try to, kill my limit of deer every year, 2-3 feral hogs, squirrels and rabbits. And besides, I prefer that to beef anyway. I think for taste, you HAVE to go with deer and wild hogs. If I shoot 6 deer and they average 150 lb each, I get about 50-60 good pounds of meet out of them without much work. If I shoot 2 300 lb hogs, I'll get four 30-35 lb hams, ribs, neck, and other meat. About 150-175 lb of meat per hog. Now THAT is a LOT of meat. With the deer, we make sausage and ground meat. With the hogs, hams, pork chops, sausage, head cheese, boudin (a type of rice sausage) with the liver, heart and kidneys. That's about 6-700 lb of meat just with the hogs and deer.

We also fish at our neighbor's pond and get 100 lb or so of fish as another supplement. Last year, we didn't eat anything other than venison and/or wild port except for about 5 times when we splurged on steaks from the butcher.